Pentair filter\DE dust coming out...Just a mess!

Oct 19, 2013
Central Florida
Saved $85 cleaning my own filter. My husband helped. We watched the video and thought we did great. But, now we have DE coming straight back out the jet streams and no water showing in the spy glass. Did we put it back together wrong? It had none of these issues before we took it apart and cleaned the grids. We did forget to leave it on backwash while we cleaned it but, that left little dust in the pool., it's actually coming out the jets now. Also the spyglass always had clear water showing in it and has none now. Please tell me something....It's cloudy and ugly!! Thank you! Please tell me what i can do.

Welcome to TFP!

What setting did you have the valve on when adding the DE? Did you have an o-ring on the internal pipe? As long as all the grids were seated in the manifold, it should be together correctly.

Also there is only water in the site glass when in backwash mode.

It was on filter when adding DE. Always on filter when not doing a backwash. Thinking i have time now today to take it back apart as i had a thought about putting the manifold back on and when i did it was horrible hard to re align and wonder if i ended up putting the wing nut back on without having it seated well enough to totally close all the fittings......if i'd left even a slight in balance and it wasn't totally sealed in place all around that would perhaps make the DE come back into the pool, no?? I know now that i'll put the pipes in one at a time all the way around rather than just sit the manifold on top of all of them and throw the wing nut on. Hope i have'nt cracked the manifold. If it's not put on the pipes correctly. Might that be why the DE is coming into the pool?? No choice but to start over and be more diligent and patient. Right.?...I did do a backwash and the sight glass is crystal clear water.......Can't think of anything else that could've gone wrong...all parts are in lovely shape and grids perfect....gotta be the manifolds off kilter or loose...right...?? Thanks again.

carsangels... the best way to do it is re-asseble everything upside down.. turn the manifold over and line up all your grids inside of it (paying attention to the where the small grid was) once you have done that take the bottom piece with the rod still in it and then line it up where the grids go in it's slots paying attention to the opening for the 90* elbow to be lined up with the opening on the top manifold... once it's all together good hold both the top and bottom of the assembly and turn it slightly so you can put the nut on the top of the manifold to hold it all together... also when you take it apart today check for torn grids because DE coming back in will happen if you have torn grids, also check for hairline cracks in top manifold. also, take everything OUTSIDE of the tank and take it all apart, then put it all back together, LUBE up the oring thats on the 90* inlet pipe and slide it back in.

Thank you guys sooo much!!! I finally started all over, following ur advice & tips along the way. The 2" oring was worn therefore not allowing the manifold to seat properly. I'd also tried to skip out on the lube process (dumb idea!) So, for the price of $5.95 I got the oring + lube. I now have a georgous, sparkeling pool!! Plus the knowledge to do it again next summer! But, b4 I even begin I'll get the 1.99 oring + 3.29 lube!! Now, I may need help w/the heater soon!! Thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.