Closing problem with pool company

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, I decided this year to pay a company to close down my pool for me.

Turns out there was some adapter screwed into my line in the skimmer, and they couldn't get it off, so they winterized what they could and put a plug in it. They claim they'll need to do another service call to finish it, removing the adapter and putting a gizmo in it's place. (see image below)

Do you think this is necessary? I saw some debate around the forum on whether or not the gizmos were necessary.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

[attachment=0:2eoajve7]skimmer.jpg[/attachment:2eoajve7]

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 184
ChewBiscuit said:
So, I decided this year to pay a company to close down my pool for me.

Turns out there was some adapter screwed into my line in the skimmer, and they couldn't get it off, so they winterized what they could and put a plug in it. They claim they'll need to do another service call to finish it, removing the adapter and putting a gizmo in it's place. (see image below)

Do you think this is necessary? I saw some debate around the forum on whether or not the gizmos were necessary.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

[attachment=0:sljcwzs6]skimmer.jpg[/attachment:sljcwzs6]

You don't have to use gizzmos, I just use a gallon container with 1/4 antifreeze in it and drop it in the skimmer box.

The plastic gizzmos will flex when it freezes and so will a plastic jug. I always pour some antifreeze into the skimmer box then put the jug in . Been doing it that way for years.

As long as your line is blown out , skimmer plugged , antifreeze in box with a plastic jug. Your good to go.

I think that the adaptor is screwed into the bottom of the skimmer and the rubber plug is in the adaptor. They already have one Gizzmo in the front hole, do they feel that two are necessary? It does get quite cold where you are, so more protection would be better.

As others have noted, you can use a plastic bottle instead of a Gizzmo. Weigh it down with sand, or pool antifreeze (not regular antifreeze).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does this look?

1/3 full or so RV anti-freeze:
[attachment=1:116qbf40]bottle_out.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]

[attachment=2:116qbf40]bottle_in.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]

Bag of rocks to weigh it down:
[attachment=0:116qbf40]rocks.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]

Attachments

• bottle_in.jpg
    bottle_in.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 92
  • bottle_out.jpg
    bottle_out.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 92
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 92
ChewBiscuit said:
How does this look?

1/3 full or so RV anti-freeze:
[attachment=1:fioqewzo]bottle_out.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]

[attachment=2:fioqewzo]bottle_in.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]

Bag of rocks to weigh it down:
[attachment=0:fioqewzo]rocks.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]

Your an expert now. You can also put pea gravel in the plastic jug along with the antifreeze, then no need for the bag of rocks.

Plus, just save it and use in next winter.

There are lots of ways to skin that cat. I never saw the point of a gizmo. A real plug and two Polyquat bottles works for me since 2005. I put one brick between the 'shoulders' of the bottles and another on top of that crosswise. Those Polyquat bottles have heavier plastic than the Gizmos, which seem kind of cheap plastic for repeated freeze/thaw cycles and certainly don't seal as well as a real plug. I don't trust them. To keep rain out, I put a wine cork in the finger hole, and an inverted 25lb. chem bucket over the cover with a few more bricks. Works for me.

For maybe 30 years, I used a bunch of old tennis balls with a big rock on top, but I stopped playing tennis.

Durk said:
There are lots of ways to skin that cat. I never saw the point of a gizmo. A real plug and two Polyquat bottles works for me since 2005. I put one brick between the 'shoulders' of the bottles and another on top of that crosswise. Those Polyquat bottles have heavier plastic than the Gizmos, which seem kind of cheap plastic for repeated freeze/thaw cycles and certainly don't seal as well as a real plug. I don't trust them. To keep rain out, I put a wine cork in the finger hole, and an inverted 25lb. chem bucket over the cover with a few more bricks. Works for me.

For maybe 30 years, I used a bunch of old tennis balls with a big rock on top, but I stopped playing tennis.
Thanks for the idea of using a cork!! Going out to do that now on mine...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.