no chlorine with auto pilot

Mar 14, 2013
hi
installed total control system 2 or 3 mos ago and all was perfect. had to do some minor touch up to perimeter tile so drained the pool about 1/2 way. system continued to run for the 3 or 4 days it took me to do the work. refilled pool and , obviously , got low salt warning etc. replenished salt and everything seemed fine. adjusted ph a bit manually and it is spot on alk and cal are in the middle of the range and that seemed to be that... crystal clear water. orp readinging 655 . today i noticed that the little bubbles i used to see from the return weren't there ( i had always presumed they were the chlorine being generated .... so i got out the test kit and checked... zero chlorine. couldn't believe t... so went and bought cheepo new test kit... ZERO . made a small test sample of clorinated water... test kits work fine. no error messages on anything, readings on the machine say everything is fine, ( can't understand how the ORP can be good w/ no cl ) and cl had tested fine a week before the repair and there were bubbles present the day i drained... it is as if the purifyer shut down on the low salt deal and needs a reset or something... but either way, there is no cl present or being made. i have set it to manual purifier with power at 100% and 24 hour boost and no bubbles...

their tech support is closed on weekends... any ideas ?

If you lowered the water, then refilled and added salt, did you remember to add Cyanuric acid as well? You can also loosen the lower cell union, while the cell is ON (press boost and let it run a minute) and test the water coming out from the cell union. You should be able to get a good chlorine reading there.

Poolsean said:
If you lowered the water, then refilled and added salt, did you remember to add Cyanuric acid as well? You can also loosen the lower cell union, while the cell is ON (press boost and let it run a minute) and test the water coming out from the cell union. You should be able to get a good chlorine reading there.

no but measured it and its ok. and not sure what measuring it at the cell tells me... if its correct there then it should be correct in the pool . if the pool is zero and there are no bubbles then that's already that answer...

Steve, that's not correct. Signs of bubbles coming back through the return does not validate that it's generating chlorine. Checking at the cell and getting a chlorine level, but not getting one in the pool could indicate that you have a very high chlorine demand condition that's consuming the chlorine very quickly. If you test chlorine directly out of the cell, you've verified it's generating chlorine. Perhaps an overnigh chlorine loss test would be in order.
Regarding the Stabilizer, can you provide the level in ppm? OK doesn't really say much. With an INdoor pool, OK would be 0 -30 ppm. With an OUTdoor pool, some may say 25 -100 ppm is OK. As a Salt Generatory Manufacturer, I want it between 60 -80 ppm for an outdoor pool.

Poolsean said:
Steve, that's not correct. Signs of bubbles coming back through the return does not validate that it's generating chlorine. Checking at the cell and getting a chlorine level, but not getting one in the pool could indicate that you have a very high chlorine demand condition that's consuming the chlorine very quickly. If you test chlorine directly out of the cell, you've verified it's generating chlorine. Perhaps an overnigh chlorine loss test would be in order.
Regarding the Stabilizer, can you provide the level in ppm? OK doesn't really say much. With an INdoor pool, OK would be 0 -30 ppm. With an OUTdoor pool, some may say 25 -100 ppm is OK. As a Salt Generatory Manufacturer, I want it between 60 -80 ppm for an outdoor pool.

i understand

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.