Is Hayward still in business?

Sep 8, 2013
I need to replace a blown skimmer basket, it's a Hayward SP1082C4 but I cannot find anything remotely similar on line. The pool is about 8 or 9 years old, these are probably the original baskets that are 7" across the top, 5 1/2" tall and 5" on the bottom. I google the Hayward part number but get no hits. I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website. Has Hayward jumped the shark, or changed their name?

I think this is what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1082CA ... B001ELW98K

Donna1935 said:
I need to replace a blown skimmer basket, it's a Hayward SP1082C4 but I cannot find anything remotely similar on line. The pool is about 8 or 9 years old, these are probably the original baskets that are 7" across the top, 5 1/2" tall and 5" on the bottom. I google the Hayward part number but get no hits. I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website. Has Hayward jumped the shark, or changed their name?

Thanks for the info. That basket at Amazon looks like the same dimension on both top and bottom, mine is 2 inches smaller at the bottom so not sure it will fit my skimmer. Someone also asked about the Amazon basket for the size and got 7" top, 6 1/2 bottom and 5" deep. I don't know how exact the dimensions must be for the basket to work efficiently, but this one doesn't seem right.

Pictures can be deceiving, to me it looks like the bottom is smaller than the top. But if the part# is correct, it should be right one.

It's an 32000 gal. L shape, vinyl liner IG pool with a Hayward 1 1/2 hp pump, c900 filter with a star clear plus filter cartridge that I'm told is way too small for the pool. It's salt water with an aquarite generator. Pool guy says to swap out for sand filter. From what I've read, I think he's right. I think the pvc pipes are 1 1/2". We have well water so metal is an issue, too. A huge issue. We have all winter to contemplate this, we've just thrown money at this pool all summer and never got it right.

Donna1935 said:
c900 filter with a star clear plus filter cartridge that I'm told is way too small for the pool.
oops...it was me who had mentioned that too you here :oops: .

Yes, it would be a good idea to look at a new filter at some point maybe after you get up and running next season. Although I personally like sand filters, there is nothing wrong with big cartridge filters (or for that matter big DE filters) either.

Donna1935 said:
we've just thrown money at this pool all summer and never got it right.
Next season if you start with our tfpc methods, we will get you up and running and your water will be crystal clear with minimal effort :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Donna1935 said:
I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website.
If you wish to contact Hayward directly regarding questions about your Hayward products, choose from the 3 options below.

Contact us by phone: (908) 355-7995 (U.S.) Mon-Fri, 8 AM – 5 PM

Contact us by letter:
Hayward Pool Products
Attn: Technical Services
One Hayward Industrial Drive
Clemmons, NC 27102
http://www.hayward-pool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... -ContactUs

Contact us online, click here to continue.

https://www.haywardnet.com/forms/contactForm.cfm

Thanks for that info. It may come in handy in the future. Hopefully, we will have a better pool season next year. Our pool guy suggested making the pool smaller, thus easier to manage, but I think starting out with a sand filter might be an alternative that is less radical. Or moving. :)

Not sure if all the recommended filter sizes were ever given to you. For a 32k gallon pool, our minimum filter size recommendations would be:
474 sqft cartridge
5.9 sqft sand (33" diameter)
89 sqft DE

Those are all very large for the residential market as your pool is pretty big. You could get by with something a little smaller that would just require more frequent cleaning ... especially if you have a short season that the pool is open. But, clearly your current filter is WAY too small.

Thanks very much for that filter info. I'm making a note and will compare it to what pool guy recommends. I'd love to find a cheaper way to keep the pool clear without buying stuff with his markup but also don't want to lose rapport as he's the only pool maintenence place for miles.

In the normal Hayward line these are the bigger filters they have:
4.9 sqft (31"), 7 sqft (36") sand
425, 525, 725 sqft cartridges
72 sqft DE

I would think the 31" sand, or 425 sqft cart, 72 sqft DE would be reasonable, but I would not go smaller than that ... depending on your location and amount of debris.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

jblizzle said:
In the normal Hayward line these are the bigger filters they have:
4.9 sqft (31"), 7 sqft (36") sand
425, 525, 725 sqft cartridges
72 sqft DE
Hayward also offers a 7.06 sq. ft. (top mount valve) filter, S360T2 and a 6.5 sq. ft. (side mount vavle) filter, S360SX. However if you do go with a sand filter this large, we should look at your pump a little closer to make sure it can provide the flowrate needed to backflush them properly (including the 4.9 sq. ft. filter jbliz mentioned).

Yeah, I kind of lumped the three big 36" sand filter options together under the 7 sqft option ... likely overkill in this case.
Good point about making sure the pump is not too small to properly backwash ... although I would think a 1.5 HP should be able to handle it

Wow, great looking pool!

I can see that you would get a lot of debris. Again, any one of the three filter types will work for you, but imo sand would be a good choice. Can you post a model number for the pump and/or maybe a picture of it with close-ups of any labels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.