Welcome to TFP,
You'll find at least a few builds from DFW from this summer alone. Lots of Pool Builders out there and prices are very reasonable, probably more so this time of year. Hope you hang around and enjoy the forum. As Woody says, there is a lot of valuable info here. I learned a lot before building ours and we are nearly to the start point here in Midland.

Here is one of my favorite builds of all I've seen here in two years. Done this summer in Southlake, and maybe the quickest build I've ever seen posted. Seems they were happy too.
new-pool-southlake-tx-near-dallas-t63592.html

Thanks, to be honest, I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around everything I need to do/know. I read the pages on equipment, construction, and miscellaneous under the Pool School section, very helpful. I'm yearning for more information and I realize some of this is subjective.

We aren't looking for anything fancy, we have a pretty good sized side yard that we are going to put the pool in, I'm looking to have a pool at least 6' deep (I'm perfectly fine having it 8'). The location of the pool won't be in the most desirable place, as it will be on the side of the yard. We live on a corner lot and the distance between the back of the house and the fence line is about 15'. We have a patio cover on the back of the house that we are going to redo (pitched roof, etc). The pool would go on the side where the trampoline is (photo below) - side of the house to fence is 27' wide, the fence line from the drive way to the back of the yard is 64' - so you have an idea of the side of the yard size.

The biggest issue I see right now is trying to figure out what we need to know (pro's and con's), things that people wished they would have done differently, etc. I've reached out to two pool companies to start the overall process with them, going to reach out to a few more to see what they say and offer up.

zvef.jpg

If you plan to do lap swimming, then 32' length is pretty much the minimum to not be annoying in terms of the short distance between turnaround. The width is usually around 16' in that situation (i.e. 16' x 32' is fairly standard if you are going with a rectangular pool). 6' depth is also pretty standard unless you plan on doing diving. The con with a pool much larger than this is mostly maintenance cost since it will require proportionately more chemicals. As you can see from the link earlier in this thread, freeform pools are more interesting to look at, but are harder to cover.

There are always trade-offs. If you want to save on chemical maintenance (but have higher pool cover replacement costs) and don't want fencing or alarms preventing young kids from getting into the pool, then you can get an automatic mostly opaque safety cover. In that case, a standard rectangular pool with an undertrack cover works well for new construction, but doesn't look as interesting. You should also consider solar heating if you want to extend your swim season and possibly some automation including remote control of your pool equipment. At some point your budget will restrict what you can do and you'll need to prioritize.