Just bought taylor test kit - Analyze my results! have issue

estcstpool

Oct 10, 2013
Virginia
Hi All,

I am about to do the AA test for what I believe are metals stains (Tested with Vitamin c tablet and staining went away).

I wanted a good baseline so i bought a taylor k-2006 kit. I performed all the tests but couldnt get the Calcium hardness test right, it was always purple, not blue and I felt like i was wasting regent.

In a 15-16k saltwater pool

FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 8
TA: 80 ppm
CYA: < 30 super low could see the dot even with the whole vial filled so its less than 30
CH: inconclusive was always purple tried the test twice following the fading end point directions couldnt get it to work

Questions
1) So what should I do to get back in balance?
2) What should I do to bring my FC to 0 so i can do the Ascorbic Acid (AA) test?

Re: Just bought taylor test kit - Analyze my results! have i

You need to swirl the CH test a lot between each drop to get a good result. This is when a speed stir comes in handy. It keeps the solution swirling while you add the drops. You can always recruit an extra pair of hands to swirl while you add the drops. Do you have copper in your water? Copper can cause the test to turn purple instead of blue.

Turn off the SWG and allow the FC to drop on its own. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to reach 0. If you are in a time crunch you can get some sodium thiosulfate from the pool store to neutralize the chlorine.

Thanks!

I like the idea of useing the least amount of chemicals to maintain my water balance, but should I be concerned that my CYA (conditioner) is so low? My other numbers seem good though correct? Does that mean I can get away with running lower CYA?

With a SWG you want to keep the CYA around 70ppm, however when the water temp drops below 60 it won't generate chlorine. Since it is so close to that time of year you may want to chlorinate manually until the water warms up again.

You should drop your pH to 7.2-7.5 and try to keep it there.

wait why would I need to add chorline manually...i live in FL where it doesnt stay 60 for long. I have been in this house for a year and a half and I have never had to add chlorine manually, just run the pool with the cell output set to 40% in the "winter". The only reason i had to step up and buy this kit is because I got this strange staining. I was able to lessen the staining with Vitamin C so I thought it best for me to know my baseline, hence the kit, before doing the AA treatment. I didnt install the pool or the SWG where would I find out if the generator requires a certain amount of CYA? If my other numbers (besides my PH) are correct why would I need the extra CYA? I never have to have my chlorine output greater than 70% and thats only in the dead of summer. I know some counties have banned CYA all together in public pools.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You can have your CYA anywhewre you decide. Virtually all SWG manufactureres will sugest 60-80 ppm. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for a better understanding of your chemistry.

It seems like you have two issues going on. Preparation for an AA treatment and then water balance. I would suggest focusing on the AA treatment and getting that procedure done. Once accomplished, you can then bring your water back to within normal parameters.

So, to answer your questions...

1. Balance your water after the AA treatment.

2. Shut off your SWG and let the FC come down on it's own.....it won't take long.

swg manufacturers are all over the place on recommended cya levels. Hayward 60-80, Pentair 30-50, Compupool 30-60, Jandy 30-50, Autopilot 60-80, etc.

However, experience on this board has shown that most swgs perform best at 70-80 ppm cya levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.