VSP Plumbing Question

paulv4

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, FL
I am considering the purchase of a Pentair 11018 Variable Speed Pump.

I currently have a StaRite PR2A5F-182L with a PXC 95 Filter.

In reading the installation instructions for the Pentair 11018, they recommend a straight distance of 10 inches from the suction input to the first elbow.

With my current configuration, I am unable to get that distance without changing the pump orientation, which would mean adding another elbow. Adding the elbow, I believe, would restrict water flow more.

I wonder how critical that 10 inch distance is.

Attached is a photo of my current plumbing configuration.

Any comments would be appreciated.

10352047364_bfd028d3be_c.jpg

I don't think it is all that critical for residential pool pumps. I believe that requirement originated from the water/oil distribution industry (API 686) where the suction pipe is connected directly into the impeller inlet. In this situation, turbulence in the suction pipe can make the pump more prone to cavitation and larger pumps cavitate more easily than smaller pumps. However, for a residential pool pump, the pump basket sits between the suction pipe and impeller inlet so any turbulence in the suction line is muted by the pump basket so by the time it reaches the inlet, it has smoothed out some. Plus residential pool pumps are not as prone to cavitation as larger pumps. But the largest body of evidence is that most installers seem to ignore those specifications without much impact.

As with many things in the pool industry, specifications like these are often passed along without considering if they even apply.

Having said that, just make sure it doesn't void your warranty. I have heard some manufactures will use that as an excuse to not pay warranty claims. That is way more important than any performance issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.