red algae

Jul 7, 2013
Beaufort, SC
I finally got my pool balance ( with the help of TBP) and it has been clear with no algae forming even in 88 degree water temp for over a month. Now I am starting to see red algae forming on the sides of the pool. It doesn't bush off very easy like the green algae. I have let the chlorine levels drop to 5 plus but have not seen this before. Even auaquat 60 doesn't help. Any ideas.

Thanks Guys-- Iuse your advice and just add bleach every now and then to keep the SWG from running above 60%. My pool is all year round for viewing and 5 months for swimming. Water Temp is about 75 dgree now.

Mark

I know reddish/pink algae is usually a mold that forms commonly in baquacil pools. But it comes off easily, are you able to brush it off at all? If it doesn't brush off make sure it's not a metal stain by using some Vitamin C on it.

It will brush off but not easily like green algae. It is definitely red and I had had that before. Also it is only on the sides of the gunite pool, not the bottom and the water is clear. Seems to gather a bit more each day. I only use salt, bleach, borax and acid to lower ph. Nothing else other than the quat 60 ever now and then. Cya is about 60-70 and ph is abot 7.4 TA is about 110 and salt about 3200.

Well, organics grow when the chlorine is inadequate. They are killed and prevented with adequate chlorine.

You need to SLAM the pool to get rid of what's in your pool. Follow the instructions in the article in Pool School.

The pink, slimy growth that is often referred to as “Pink Algae” is technically not an algae but rather a bacterium of the genus Methylobacterium. Pigments within its cells give it its distinctive pink color. The slime formed around the bacteria provides it with a high level of protection which is why it does not brush off easily. In addition to clinging to the walls of a pool, it has an affinity for PVC plastics and will attach itself to both the inside and the outside of PVC materials that are a part of, or attached to, the pool. This includes your pool’s plumbing as well as your cleaner/vacuum. There was a large outbreak of this around here a couple of years ago, late in the season. The most common cause is letting FC get too low for the CYA level - even for a short while.

Because it is a bacterium, algaecides will not prevent or get rid of this. However, SLAMming the pool with chlorine will. When SLAMming, be sure to clean behind the light fixture, if your pool has one, as well as around any ladders and underneath any removable steps. Treat any pool toys/floats as well with a water/chlorine solution. Since this slime can attach itself to the plumbing (meaning in places you cannot see it), it would be a good idea to maintain your FC on the high side of the target range for a few weeks or so after completing the SLAM process just to be on the safe side.

Thnaks a bunch! The season is just over here but I will maintain the FC level very high to hopefully get rid of pink algae. It is the first time in 10 years that I have seen it. Any water temp s about 65 F so it doesn't take much for chloride to build and kill this stuff through the winter. I run the pump all years just not much each day to keep the jandy's working.

I fought that stuff for years when I was using Trichlor due to high CYA and insufficient chlorine. I'm convinced the only thing keeping algae from taking over my pool back the was the Algae All 60 the pool store told me I needed to dose weekly. As mentioned above, the red stuff is a bacteria and thus Algae Inhibitors are ineffective against it. The only way I could get rid of it was shocking up to 30 ppm on occasion. Since switching to bleach through The Liquidator I maintain my CYA between 30-40 and target FC around 5-7. Guess what I have not seen since? Red slime bacteria. I also have the aid of a Twenty Mule Team working in my pool. This might possibly help as well.

Thanks a bunch--the water has cooled quite a bit and my FC is now very high and pink slime is gone. Thanks for the advice.\ I have always been concerned about getting the FC too high but that's wahat it takes and keepng the cya down below 60 in SWG.

Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.