Do I really need a "custom" mesh cover

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Ok, so I have ONE last item from my original pool budget. A safety mesh cover, I had a $2,500 budget (installed) from the original quote.

Now it is time for the cover, and of course I am a ton smarter thanks to this forum.

My pool is standard rectangle in size...

I wanted a "good" mesh cover to mostly block the sun and of course not have to worry about draining, etc. My wife also wanted the blue color just to for fun.

I asked him just to get a "stock" loop loc or ultra loop loc and he is saying that is not the way to go, but he is pushing me toward a Custom Rayner Mighty Mesh ?? As they are MUCH better and not much more in price.

http://www.raynercovering.com/pool-covers/safety-pool-covers/mighty-mesh-pool-covers

Claims it will be within budget, so why am I all wound up...I think he is just needlessly burning my money. Any opinions or ideas why he thinks I might need this custom cover ?

Yeah, what Bama said.

if he is a dealer for that particular brand of cover and not another, then his wholesale price is much better, which means more money in his pocket.

Btw, your pool doesn't a 'custom' cover if it is standard size rectangle.

Ok, what I figured.

So I talked with him again, and now the story is well, you wanted (my wife) a blue mesh cover with "nearly" 100% UV light blockage...and the Rayner is really the only one that fits that bill. And I guess they don't do "stock" covers.

With that in mind, if anyone else knows of a BLUE MESH 100% UV blocking cover - please speak up :)

Standard size covers come in 16x32 or 16x34. Do you have anything that might get in the way that needs to be worked around? (Diving board stand, waterfall, steps...etc?) Do you have plenty of room on all 4 sides to mount a standard cover (3 ft on all sides)?....but you would have to get a slightly longer cover....due to your size not being available....so you would need more decking on both ends.

Sounds like you can use a "stock" cover and save money and the 6 week wait to get loop-loc to make you one. I had mine installed last month. My installer recommended the solid with mesh vents over the all mesh. Keeps more light out and still drains without needing a pump. Here's mine:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.