Winterizing above ground newbie

Jun 9, 2013
So this is my first time winterizing my pool and I thought I knew what I was doing after reading the pool school info and other info online but somewhere along the line I got the idea that you can remove your whole skimmer box and return jet and leave it open during the winter (after the water level was drained 6" below the return of course). So that is what I did and now I'm freaking out that I made a mistake. Now that I have been reading more into it, it looks like everyone else leaves theirs on. I think when I read the part that says remove the skimmer basket I assumed it was the whole skimmer. I feel like I'm failing at this pool stuff, please help. Can the whole thing be removed and left open? should I put it back on? I have a 21' AG and live in MN where it will freeze completely. I have a solid winter cover on it with air pillow and seal wrap. Any input is appreciated.

Yes...put it back on. Try and pull the liner up further than it was before and make new screw holes for the skimmer. Try and line the return up exactly. Otherwise, the old holes might stretch an create a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.