Teledyne V- Diagnosing No Start Issue

Oct 16, 2013
Split topic from here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/teledyne-laars-pool-heater-wouldnt-turn-on-t12715.html. Please do not hijack another person's topic. Post new questions in a new topic. :wink: --Thanks, BoDarville - TFP Moderator

Hello I own a teladyne v, just changed the pilot and the main controller. But the heater still don't start. I tried all possible jumpers, nothing, only the pilot works. Any idea what can I do to test further?

I don't own the model you have but from looking at the parts diagrams they look pretty similar. Here's a couple of very basic items that can prevent a startup.

1. Make sure you have a totally clean filter. The heater has a pressure switch that will prevent the heater from running if it senses low back pressure in the piping. This is to ensure the heater doesn't fire when there's no water flow (pump off) or when there's low water flow (clogged filter). Sometimes this switch is set conservatively so that it shuts down the heater even though your filter doesn't yet require cleaning or backwashing. Best bet is to make sure your filter is 100% clean before doing any other troubleshooting.

2 This may be a peculiarity of my heater, but I noticed the very first time I start up for a season, it takes a good 15 minutes to fire. There is a startup delay function built-in which I thought was supposed to be only 3 minutes or so, but for some reason it's really a long delay on my first start. So if your heater acts similarly, turn it on and leave it that way for a half hour and see if you get startup. If you give up too soon you may not be giving it enough of a chance.

These are just 2 no-tools things you can do. After that, it would be time to get out a multimeter and take some voltage/continuity readings.

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.