Closing with some visible algae

May 31, 2013
Central PA
It was bound to happen.

We've been working on this pool project all summer long. We finally, at long last, got the ground level and within a few weeks got the thing built and water in it. Being so late in the season we did not connect the circulation system and the water was kept below the skimmer. We didn't really add anything to it because the intention was to cover it and close it and start the BBB maintenance after opening in the spring.

I'm in central PA.

So about a week ago, it got rainy and windy and some debris, leaves, a couple bugs got into the pool water. I hadn't gotten the cover on it in time I guess. I skimmed out some of them but apparently I missed a windy day and lo and behold I've got leaves and crud in there again. And green starting to grow. Water looks shiny on top with tiny patches of growth on the surface if you look close.

My question is, can I vacuum out the gunk without my pump? Is there a way to connect a vac to a garden hose and flush straight to the street?

In my head I shouldn't add any load of chlorine without the pump system up and running because it could cause damage to my liner. Plus I haven't really gotten the test kit- like I said, we were set on closing for the winter without starting the chemicals. There is nothing added to the water other than organic matter and green stuff, which you know, naturally occurred.

What do I do?

As I see it I could vacuum out any organic matter I can get out and then cover and deal with the rest in the spring. I know algae on opening isn't uncommon so I'm not having panic attacks over it but slight anxiety is setting in. It took us so long to put this thing up properly that I am kind of seeing pink about the whole situation.

I would really like to at least get crud out of there before I cover. My head says that any matter in there is allowing the algae to feast and live. Am I just wasting time trying to do that?

Will the cold winter kind of halt the algae?

Am I wrong not adding anything to the pool before closing for winter in my situation?

Should I connect the pump and treat it now or close and wait?

Any help would be appreciated. We are frustrated and I don't want to lose more time and have a worse issue. I also don't want to waste time if I don't need to.

Advice?

ETA- Sorry, I didn't realize cr*p was a "bad" word so edited to "crud". Don't want you all thinking I cuss like a sailor or anything while asking for advice haha

1. Will the cold winter kind of halt the algae?

2. Am I wrong not adding anything to the pool before closing for winter in my situation?

3. Should I connect the pump and treat it now or close and wait?

1. Not only the cold, but the lack of light when you cover the pool will retard it severely.

2. Not really. I think my plan would be to accept things as they are if it were my pool.

3. I would leave the pump off and plan on fixing everything in the Spring.

If you choose the above path, read and re-read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School. You will have to attack all this in the Spring and nothing less than a complete SLAM will fix your issues.

Thank you. I appreciate the input because I was on the verge of freaking out that I was harboring a horror story waiting to happen in my backyard.

I have SLAM and Defeating Algae open in side tabs. I was preparing myself for the most action if necessary.

So, plan of attack is close and prep for the spring to hook up the circulation system, add water, SLAM, brush, backwash, etc. Have one of the great recommended test kits on hand as well as the proper bleach, baking soda, and borax. I have a DE filter so I know I'll have to keep an eye on it. I will make sure to do all this on a weekend when I have as much time as possible to devote to getting things taken care of.

I am good with that. I plan to educate myself fully before spring. After such a long wait I want that pool ready to use by the first swimmingly hot day we get here in PA!

I feel better now. Thank you again.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do not stock up on baking soda and borax ... many (most?) pools never need either of them. Baking soda raises TA which is often high in tap water already. And borax raises the pH, which is usually not needed unless you are using acidic tablets instead of bleach.

You have all winter to read Pool School and learn about the chemistry ;)

In the spring, hook up the equipment, fill with water, circulate for at least an hour and then do a full set of tests. Based on those results, we can see what should be fixed first (maybe need CYA, maybe need to lower the pH), then you will just need a lot of bleach to SLAM the pool.

Thank you!

I will make sure to try to get as accurate readings as possible come spring.

I have the problem where I read ahead and try to figure things out before I even get to them, then when I get to them my amazing amount of knowledge is too much for my brain to handle. I also have the problem of having other people involved try to tell me I'm incorrect and causing me undue amounts of stress (ie, "it'll be ok without a cover for now" then BAM! crud in pool and algae grr). But I think with this helpful website and all of you pool sharks (har har) I should be golden come spring.

I appreciate all your help!

Have a fantastic morning, afternoon, or evening wherever you may be! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.