Ok.tell me how to do this, plz, sand filter on 18x48 intex

MoreSparkle

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2012
NW FL
Hey y'all,

I have this pool,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-18-x-48-Easy-Set-Swimming-Pool/22061255

but after 5 years it is showing wear and tear. I want to replace it with another one just like it....I'm not digging the ultra frames... too much rain and sandy soil...worried about legs sinking even if on pavers

I have had decent luck with the included pump / filter set up that comes with it by staying on top of things.... I had the cleanest pool ever this year!!!! it was so nice every morning to wake up and see a crystal clean pool!!! thanks tfp!!!!!

I do however want to try a sand filter bc the almost daily washing of the filter (maybe a little ocd, but lots of rain, bugs, dirt, grapes, acorns, falling in the pool - dirty filters fast ) was wrecking my back (sciatica)....

what will work with this pool??? I've done the google search here but can't seem to figure it out... I keep seeing UFs w sand pumps, but not my kind.... and mentions of retrofitting....

would this work??? I am not well versed in sand filters...

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Filter...N5I7H38V&coliid=I3BOTNCNJGHE35#productDetails

and would like to hear from others with this kind of set up.... don't want to learn the hard way...
thanks for any tips, ideas :-0

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE TFP!!!

Re: Ok.tell me how to do this, plz, sand filter on 18x48 int

I considered going to sand also just like many Intex owners. For my very clean setup simply going Unicell cartidges made it easy for me. If I go to a bigger pool, such as your size, I will either go sand or get a "real" cart system such as one of the 100 sq ft hayward cart setups.

As for you. having looked very hard about a year ago at replacing my Intex filter/pump (and I use the 2650 filter/pump cart setup) I would recommend you go for one of the Hayward sand setups. Why? Since we are new to this, replacement parts availability and name brand recognition. For not much more money you could get the basic sand/pump Hayward VL40T32.....that is a small sand filter with hayward pump....all should be fixable/repairable/replaceable. You link gave pointed to a nice price, but I know nothing of that manufacturer....know if you can get replacement parts.....I know plenty about Hayward, Pentair, and the other major brands talked about here.

Because you have tree and dropping Crud issues going into the pool, the much better "pro" line Hayward sand filters would be money well spent and if you decide the pool is not for you, that filter/pump setup will be easily sold on Craigslist or elsewhere.

Look at the Hayward S144T1540S (which is a 14" sand filter) or because of more cleaning area, the S166T92S (which is 16" I believe). With the pro line you also have the option for an upgraded Matrix pump which if you hard plumb your Intex pool,you will not need most likely. The standard PowerfloLX pump will give you flow like you didn't know you could get in an Intex pool. REPLACE your intake with a "real" skimmer. Again, hayward makes a cheap $30 dollar one that all of us use for our Intex pools. That will help suck all the Crud out of the water which seems to be an issue with your location. I am sure you have seen the threads about us installing hard plumbing and the skimmer.

Yes, I know the Pro line is roughly double the cost of the cheap stuff, but you get what you pay for and especially if you know you are going to keep doing the AGP thing, you will be able to use the same outfit (particularly if you go with the S166 model) with an even bigger pool with real metal sides and resin ledges. A quality pump/motor that is known to all pool people is also a plus for me since I have had to replace my Intex pump EVERY year I have owned an Intex pool. I could have paid for the big Pro line Hayward sand filter and gone to dinner with the wife and still have money in my pocket for all the Intex pumps I have replaced and I bet the Hayward pump would still have had zero problems.....

Something to consider.....

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
$30 dollar one that all of us use for our Intex pools. That will help suck all the **** out of the water . I am sure you have seen the threads about us installing hard plumbing.

Forgot to say, YES!!!! and it :shock: FREAKS :shock: me out to think about cutting a new liner!!!!!

:lol:

but I trust y'all if you say it can be done! .... and I've seen y'all do it.... but still..... :shock:

thank you!!!! that was exactly the kind of input I was looking for... hate figuring this stuff out on my own.... the issue with the tree detritus is the backyard is sooooooooo small, the 18' pool nearly fills it up.... so cant avoid the trees and not willing to chop them down...we may take down a cypress playset we built years ago, and that would give more room, but not much more. i do like the idea of a known brand like hayward, thanks for that thought.

anyone else ????? different thoughts????

(ooops posts are outta order, sorry, never went through first time )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.