engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi again
is cool here in W Washington, a little sun now and then, pool is covered, water is clear
on 10/2 was using K-2005, diluted pool water 1:4, and found FC 2-3, so then 8-12ppm
have added no bleach and Rainbow is set to zero, ie closed
today 10/15 the chlorine test kit arrived from http://tftestkits.net/Single-Item-Tests-c6/
and returned FC 12 and CC 0

is it possible that FC has not declined for 13 days?

No, that's not really possible.

The problem is likely in your dilution. Each time you dilute the accuracy gets thrown way off so a 4:1 dilution is pretty meaningless.

Go forward with your new FAS/DPD test and you'll be fine

duraleigh said:
No, that's not really possible.

The problem is likely in your dilution. Each time you dilute the accuracy gets thrown way off so a 4:1 dilution is pretty meaningless.

Go forward with your new FAS/DPD test and you'll be fine

thank you

will follow with the new test kit and see what happens over the next days weeks and report

is kinda fun not having to add bleach / tabs

maybe I have a spontaneous source of Cl (dead worms, Puget Sound rain, old plaster, deer pee) :) :-D

so have new test kit
10/16 FC 12.5 (10cc, 25drops)
10/25 FC 12, CC 0, pH 7.6, TA 60, CH 240, CYA 50 (10cc, 24 drops)
still cool, cloudy, covered
so in 9 days drop of FC essentially zero
so am nervous
is this Ok or
am I about to see yellow water

Pool is covered and there is no swimming? Combine that with cold water temps and your FC can last a long time since the chlorine is not being used by the sun or organics. It won't last forever, but could last for awhile.

Also, when you did your previous dilution of 1:4 (1 part pool water combined with 3 parts non-chlorinated water?) your uncertainty could easily have been higher than +/-4 ppm due to the precision of that test.

so the tracking of FC decline continues
FC was 12 on 10/2 and 9 today 12/4
so declined 3 in two months

also
troublefreepool chlorine tester is cool
what do I vac up in the winter? leaves worms and one rat, but very little stuff as back wash is very clean
pH continues to creep up and I bump down with acid every so often (TA 60); why does pH creep up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pH tends to rise in most every pool. More so in an SWG pool. It's the nature of the beast as the TA slowly outgasses.

Chlorine, of course, is a consumable item and you will be adding it for the rest of your pool's life.

engrav said:
41 but
it creeps in the summer as well
seem to always be adding chlorine and acid (tho not chlorine now)
I'll let ChemGeek correct me if I'm wrong, but the pH changes are for two different reasons. In the summer, temp is relatively constant but pH changes anyways - high TA, outgassing/aeration, the effect of the SWG, etc. In the wintertime, there are no appreciable changes to your pool water except for temp, and the pH is changing because the temp is changing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.