Fencing around pool area

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I learned something tonight about fencing...the black aluminum alloy type...so far, all of my quotes have been in the $35/ft range. A friend who has a fencing company quoted me $29/ft for a "residential" grade fence, or $37/ft for a commercial grade. The difference is heavier duty pickets (5/8" vs 3/4"), 2.5" posts vs 2", and a heavier top rail on the commercial grade. Also, a hidden fastener system is on the commercial grade.

I didn't even realize, or really think about it until he gave me the options tonight, to ask what 'grade' the other contractors were quoting. I'm assuming "residential" grade though. I checked a neighbors, who had his just done, and it the smaller size. I'm guessing that's more common?

What do you folks think? At first I didn't think I was getting any type of deal from my friend (since I know him well), but I'm actually thinking I was. I didn't get into negotiation at all yet, just first offer to get an idea. But it sounds like most likely for the same price most others quoted, he was offering me a heavier duty fence. But do I need it? I don't know much about this style fence and how well it holds up. I'm talking about 200' of fence with 3 gates. If I don't need it, I can save about $1500 on the fence.

Thanks!

AHJ? You mean like the code enforcement or something? I'm someone who always feels bigger and heavier is better. He said it will stand up, of course, to more abuse and hits from things like mowers, but it's like 50/50 in terms of folks picking residential sizing vs commerical.

Yeah, AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). :)

There are times when bigger is better, but then there's also probability. What's the chance that it needs to be bigger? How often are you going to run into it with a mower? Also will the commercial grade stand up to a mower running into it that much better than the residential grade (I suspect, not much)? The commercial will probably stand up to a line trimmer better.

I don't think you need heavier material. Think about the typical commercial pool area- kids hanging on the fence, pool chairs banging into it, etc. I'd be more concerned with the finish and corrossion control. If it's good powdercoated stuff, you should be fine.

So the devil is in the details. That price I quoted didn't include the 3 gates and an arched gate. It was just the pricing per foot for the regular 6' sections. When I added it up, it was closer to the $35/ft. I ended up going with the construction company doing my patio as well. He beat the price, and is doing a better quality residential fence IMO. Hidden fasteners, powder gated, a 6' gate, etc. Thanks for the pointers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.