SWG ? Salt Cell? What do I need? Overwhelmed.

I would really like to have a SWG pool. My pool was just installed. The pump and filter were literally turned on for the 1st time on Saturday. The installer threw in some shock and starter chemicals. What do I need to do to switch over? What do I need to buy? Do I just buy a salt cell? Do I need to buy a generator and a salt cell? I am, so confused and I am not confident the pool dealer who installed the pool can help me at all. Should I buy the equipment now and have it installed before start up in the spring? We are closing the pool soon....should I just have it down right now?
So much to learn

You will need the saltwater chlorine generator (swg) cell and a power supply. What equipment brand(s) do you have right now?

I think I saw in one of your other posts that "money was tight". Why not forgo the swg for now (you will have to close the pool soon anyway) and use bleach/liquid chlorine and maybe to start next year as well and get a feel for if you really need the swg?

If you just want the feel of salt water, that can be done without a swg by putting in ~2000 ppm salt.

Also, if you haven't already, the most important thing you can buy for your pool now (and not to expensive) is an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

I'm in SE Texas so I can't comment on closing the pool.

For the SWG, you will need a salt cell and the controller box (my term) and pool salt. Water softener salt is supposed to be cheaper. Just make sure the salt is pure. If you are handy you can install it yourself. The power is connected to the same power source as the pump. If you have ever worked with PVC you should have no problem connecting it to your return line. I have the AquaRite system and it works well--although the circuit board died about 6 weeks ago and it was replaced under warranty. The Pentair system also is supposed to be good.

"New England" is a pretty braod climactic area but I would think you are going to get pretty cool pretty soon.

I suggest you close the pool properly for the winter and, at the same time, begin to learn the basics on how to manage your pool. Based on your knowledge level currently, I assume you are going to have the pool professionally closed. Watch what they do and learn.

Next, you need to get a basic grasp of pool water chemistry and an understanding of the mechanical nature of your pool.

The SWG is an easy installation next Spring if you decide to do that.

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's a good start for your water management.

Secondly, do you know how to chlorinate you're pool? You still need to do that this fall before it's closed.

In short, learn more about the basics of maintaining your pool and managing it without the SWG. I think you are getting ahead of yourself with the SWG and would plan on that in the Spring.

To answer one of your questions, the test strips are worthless but you really should learn what you are testing and why you are testing so you can make a comfortable decision about purchasing a good test kit....it'll be almost a requirement.

Thank you for the tips. I never knew there was so much involved.

I have some generic pool tablets that I was going to throw in to the skimmer until we close it up, which we are having done by our pool dealer. I mentioned bleach the other day when the plumber was over and he said not to use bleach because it will ruin the plumbing. Is this true? I was kind of hoping to adopt the BBB method but now I am shying away.

Thanks.

1. We do not recommend putting tablets in the skimmer, they are very acidic and can cause problems if you do not leave the pump on 24/7

2. 99% of pool builders/experts have NO IDEA how to maintain proper chemistry. Bleach is perfectly safe. You would be more likely to cause damage to the plumbing by putting tablets in the skimmer than by pouring bleach in the pool. How would he explain the fact that many pool stores sell liquid chlorine which is just STRONGER bleach?

I am not sure :) Like I said I am completely overwhelmed by this and feel as though maybe I got in over my head (pun intended). I have been looking at the testing kits, and those seems extremely confusing. It there a pool water testing for dummies button? I have a bobber chlorinator that I bought for our temporary pool, could/should I put tablets in that?
<sigh>

You should only use tablets if you know that your stabilizer is not already too high. And to know that you need one of the recommended test kits. The testing reads much more difficult than it actually is. Once you have your hands on it and are doing the tests, it is easy to do and understand.

Let me confirm what jblizzle has said. The test kit and instructions are extremely simple, literally my 8 yr old does it (with super vision). Buy the auto stir and it is even simpler. Scoop some water to the proper level, sit it on mixer, add appropriate agent and read the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
renbar1980 said:
I mentioned bleach the other day when the plumber was over and he said not to use bleach because it will ruin the plumbing. Is this true? I was kind of hoping to adopt the BBB method but now I am shying away.

Sodium hypochlorite = Bleach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite
Clorox = bleach
Tablets = bleach and CYA

As far as the plumber saying that, what does he think is in toilet bowl, shower, and sink cleaners? BLEACH! What's in those tablets you put in the back of the toilet? BLEACH!

As a dude who bought his first pool about 4yrs ago, I highly recommend the following
1) Order a nice water test kit such as http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html
2) read pool school while your test kit is in the mail
3) test with your new kit and adopt the BBB method asap

The above is an investment in time, but will start you off on the right foot and ensure your pool is never damaged due to mismanagement, and probably save you literally thousands of dollars over the next few years. The return on investment is phenomenal.

If after the above you decide to go with a Salt Water system (I have one and recommend it), I'd suggest
1) buy Compupool system (http://www.compupoolproducts.com/produc ... aning.html) Very nice product, good tech support good warranty support - ask me how I know ;). Buy one bigger than the pool needs, it'll have to run less & cell will last longer
2) install yourself or have a pro do it. Ensure installed according to the manual!
3) start enjoying the benefits of a salt water system

Enjoy your new pool, congratulations!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.