Snow load on pool and Pool pillow

oacjr

Jul 5, 2013
I bought the Hurricane cover and 2 pool pillows closed it up and all was good. Next morning the pool pillows were deflated. I filled them back up and checked for leaks and found none. Covered the opening with tape as I thought it could be leaking from there. Pillows went flat again.
Here is my question. With a few rains we have had since I have closed pool I noticed it can catch a ton of water so now I am worried about snow. We could get a 6 inch or more snow this winter and wondered how other people address this problem. I can't see how that much weight could not damage pool or rip up the cover.

Winter is almost here and need to act fast.

I gave up on pool pillows years ago. They're junk and made so cheap that they don't last more than a few months. You might as well put party balloons in your pool. I purchased three Intex River Run II inflatable rafts about eight years ago and I'm still using the same three rafts as my pool equalizer/pillow in the winter. They're about 16" high when inflated (including the backrest), so they do a fantastic job keeping my mesh cover elevated off the pool surface all winter. They have a threaded quick release valve, so I can fill them and deflate them in less than 30 seconds using my air compressor unlike having to wrestle and twist the the air pillows for 20 mins. trying to get out all the air out. They have built in handles and loops on the sides so you can position them around your pool and tie them off using nylon string. Best of all, they're built to last and made with 18 gauge vinyl, so I'm never worried about holes or punctures during the winter. Again I'm going on my 9th year with same three rafts and zero issues. I couldn't be more pleased. FYI. Some people also use inflatable inner tubes with success. I just find the River Run II rafts to be longer and higher than inner tubes so they do a great job keeping my cover suspended off the pool surface all winter long.

Attachments

• Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 376
Thank you very much for the information. I have noticed that the covers in the two photo's have much more slack in them as mine does. With the Hurricane cover and the sand bags all the way around and stakes tying it off it is pretty snug fit. I will try and post a picture after lunch.

Should it be that snug. I'm worried about the inward pressure on the sides caused by heavy snow and the cover being tied off to the ground.

Picture soon.

My cover is very tight right now. Tough to tell in the picture, but it's definitely pulled extremely tight. I could probably bounce a tennis ball off the cover it's so tight.

Couple of tips.
1) Make sure you blow the leaves off the cover on a regular basis. Otherwise they get wet and start to breakdown and decompose on the cover. I hit them with the backpack leafblower about once a week in Oct and Nov.
2) At the end of November, when all the leaves have stopped falling and blowing around, I dump 2 gallons of shock on top of the mesh cover. VERY IMPORTANT Then I loosen the clips, and unroll the extra slack in the cover so that the cover rests very... very....very loose on the rafts then reclip the cover in this loose state. For this very reason, I purchased a 28' mesh cover even though my pool is only 24'. You need extra slack in the cover during the snowfall months. It's important for the mesh cover to hang loose in the pool becaues the first heavy snowfall/snowmelt will tear the mesh cover if it's pulled too tight. The more rafts/inner tubes you have spread across you pool the better because they keep the cover elevated (even when the cover is loose) so that cover doesn't sag into the water. If the mesh cover sags into the water, the pool water from below will pass up through the cover and you'll never be able to pull it tight because they'll be too much water on the top. In addition, any leaves and debris will start to decompose in the water on top of the cover and will pass through the mesh cover making a mess of the water below the cover. That's why you see so many rafts under the cover in my picture above. Keeping the cover mesh cover elevated and suspended over the pool water (even when loose from Dec - Mar.) is they key to having clear water when you go to open the pool. Mesh covers are great....but you have to keep them clear of leaves and debris to prevent decomposing debris from passing into your pool water. In late March, I gradually pull the cover tight again (starting at one side of the pool moving my way around to the other side) and reclip all the edges. Once tight, I add 2 gallons of shock to the pool cover and wait until June to pull the cover and SLAM the pool.

Thanks a lot for posting the pictures. I have a plastic cover and wind is getting under it, 15 x 25 oval agp. It looks like I should have the cover touch the water? I bought a cover pump, but have only been using it when needed. Any advice is appreciated.

Saleen455 said:
My cover is very tight right now. Tough to tell in the picture, but it's definitely pulled extremely tight. I could probably bounce a tennis ball off the cover it's so tight.

Couple of tips.
1) Make sure you blow the leaves off the cover on a regular basis. Otherwise they get wet and start to breakdown and decompose on the cover. I hit them with the backpack leafblower about once a week in Oct and Nov.
2) At the end of November, when all the leaves have stopped falling and blowing around, I dump 2 gallons of shock on top of the mesh cover. VERY IMPORTANT Then I loosen the clips, and unroll the extra slack in the cover so that the cover rests very... very....very loose on the rafts then reclip the cover in this loose state. For this very reason, I purchased a 28' mesh cover even though my pool is only 24'. You need extra slack in the cover during the snowfall months. It's important for the mesh cover to hang loose in the pool becaues the first heavy snowfall/snowmelt will tear the mesh cover if it's pulled too tight. The more rafts/inner tubes you have spread across you pool the better because they keep the cover elevated (even when the cover is loose) so that cover doesn't sag into the water. If the mesh cover sags into the water, the pool water from below will pass up through the cover and you'll never be able to pull it tight because they'll be too much water on the top. In addition, any leaves and debris will start to decompose in the water on top of the cover and will pass through the mesh cover making a mess of the water below the cover. That's why you see so many rafts under the cover in my picture above. Keeping the cover mesh cover elevated and suspended over the pool water (even when loose from Dec - Mar.) is they key to having clear water when you go to open the pool. Mesh covers are great....but you have to keep them clear of leaves and debris to prevent decomposing debris from passing into your pool water. In late March, I gradually pull the cover tight again (starting at one side of the pool moving my way around to the other side) and reclip all the edges. Once tight, I add 2 gallons of shock to the pool cover and wait until June to pull the cover and SLAM the pool.

What kind of clips are you using to hold the cover?

I bought these clips on Amazon. They are really holding the cover on well. My cover is not on as tight as yours. I need to pump off the water form the rain yesterday and then I'll tighten it up. Thanks for the instructions again on the leaves and the chemicals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 245
While I don't close or cover my pool, my friend used/uses a tractor tire inner tube.

I got him a couple of used ones from the rural tire dealer nearby and he says they work great. I think they were five bucks each or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.