Repairing pool plaster, rough surface, steps

I have been successfully using BBB method for a while, but towards the end of last swimming season, I noticed some algae that I was not able to kill no matter how much I brushed and shocked. I think it is black algae. It has a waxy feel to it when you step on it.
The problem is that the plaster on the shallow side of my pool is flaked off and the black algae seem to be holding very well in those creases.
I tried placing the 3” puck and it works but I have too much of the algae. I sure can buy a large container of the pucks and keep moving them around until all algae dies (and leaves a light brown stain) but I also want to see if I can repair the problems on the steps and the base of the pool.
I also tried using a pressure washer which also seems to work but takes a good deal of time, so using the pucks seem to be easier.
I have read a lot on the internet and on this forum on what to do and made a plan. However, I am looking for recommendations.

I will use E-Z patch on the steps and cracks in the plaster after draining the pool until the shallow end is exposed. I am aware of the risk of floating the pool but my lot is not on a flat surface. It is relatively high spot compared to what’s around me.
I am thinking about using a variable speed grinder/polisher on low speeds to soften the bottom of the shallow end. I plan to use the following. STADEA Premium Grade Wet 4" Diamond Polishing Pads.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SD ... MTXWSPT19O
I will have to experiment a bit with the grit levels. Maybe start with 100 to see if it cleans the creases out and use higher grits to make is smoother. If I can make the surface smooth enough, I am thinking it is much less likely to have a black algae problem.
I am also thinking to bleach wash the pool. At least the shallow end that is drained. Since we will be getting rains soon, I am not sure if I should drain completely to do a full bleach wash and acid wash as there are stains here and there on the plaster.
I have researched bleach washing and acid washing quite a bit too.
In summary:
I will need long gloves, eye protection, a good face mask, metal brush, rubber boots, chlorine, acid, and a flower watering can.
First, I will clean the filter.
Next, I will chlorine wash by directly applying chlorine to the black algae infested areas and brushing. I will do this in sections and quickly rinse it off to avoid discoloration. I have seen this done using only chlorine or chlorine and water mix.
Last thing is to acid wash. I have seen from pool pros that they mix half and half or 1 parts acid and 2 parts water in a flower watering can. They also add 2 ounces of bio-dex white n’ brite to reduces fumes. I will have to use 1 lbs of soda ash per 1 gallon of acid I would use. This, I will do in smaller sections too. Pour the mixture and immediately brush and a second person can rinse it off.
However, I am going to winterize the pool. So do you think it will be better if I brushed and shocked the pool, closed it, and do the acid wash next season?
Well, you might also think the plaster is beyond saving and recommend to be replaced. I just want to get a few more years life out of it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 326
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 317
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 311
I know this will sound hard nosed but the plaster is beyond saving. It needs replastering.

On a second note, the pool water has been badly neglected for a long period of time. Whether you attempt a repair to the plaster or get new plaster, the chemistry must be much better managed or the pool will go right back to it's current condition.

I would re-plaster. It hurts, it costs money, but it will solve your problem.

Welcome to TFP

It appears you have lost most of the plaster in the shallow end? Is that correct? How old is the pool?

Doing your bleach and acid wash even with the polishing will not get not get all the black algae. Your surfaces appear very rough. You have cracks.

Worse I expect all your work will cause more plaster to de-laminate.

Painting is just a bad solution all round. Search this site you will find almost no one who is happy with pool paint. It does not go on as expected, it doesn't look or feel correct and it chips off. With your uneven surface, I would give it a very short lifespan.

I would call several pool contractors and get bids for re-plastering. If you plan to live there a while you might consider a harder surface like pebble fina.

I would not put much time or money into trying to save or extend what you have.

Thank you both for your responses.

As far as pool chemistry, I only let it go for a while recently. I keep it in very good condition in general. Now that I was planning a bleach wash, I stopped adding bleach.
I agree I need new plaster too, but my goal was to defer it for a couple of years and get opinions on what good acid wash and sanding would do.

I took photos of the worst part really. That one step is in really bad shape and yes there are cracks here and there on those steps. The most of the shallow end is chipped off and once you move to the deep end there is no issues there.

If I am going to do a re-plaster, I want to consider my other options. Tiles, pebble-tec, plaster... I am also considering converting to salt water pool. Heck, I even researched converting to a natural pool.

I am getting some estimates on the re-plaster work.
There is one contractor that was recommended to me by one of the expensive builders that do not prefer to service my area (some insurance thing I believe) He told me he used this contractor and was happy with his work. The PB guy told me they charge about $20/sqft which sounds crazy high. The contractor stopped by yesterday. We discussed the option. He can fix only the shallow end which would be the cheapest option. He said he can cut through the plaster and use some tiles to make the transition between the shallow end and the deep end. The deep end of the pool show no issues yet. There is only one spot on the wall where there is a small piece of plaster popped. Alternatively, he can redo the whole thing with my choice of basic or diamond brite plaster or pebble-tech like product (I guess they call it pebble-crete.) He measure my pool perimeter to be 103 feet. This guy lives in my neighborhood and want wants to grow his own business versus working for other companies so he told me he would give me a very good deal and use it as a reference in the area. We have two lake neighborhoods side by side and lots of houses with pools.
I also had an appointment from a very reputable PB (Mid-America www.poolrenovation.com) in my area this morning. They have some serious references such as Trump Tower Hotel in NY, various Marriott Hotels... They do same kind of stuff as the other contractor. They use hydro-blasting (@40,000 PSI) to remove the existing plaster. They also have a product called Inter-Glass, which is their premium product and is apparently on the expensive side. He measured my pool perimeter to be 106 feet.
I will also get pricing estimate from a third PB by submitting photos and measurements.

I am tempted to do the repairs (if the price is significantly lower) and get by a few years until I can afford to get a complete renovation. I will know more once I have the estimates.
Also if I get plaster repair or re-plaster, I am guessing I need to wait till spring. It is already cool now and we probably will be getting some freezing temps in near future. I am not sure how easy it would be to brush the pool daily and also run the pool for 30 days or so after the plaster work is finished. If I go with Inter-Glass which I doubt since I am guessing it will be pretty costly, I can get it done now because there is no after construction work necessary. Just fill the pool up, balance the water, and winterize.

I really think you should re-do the finish if at all possible. It will be difficult at best to make any significant improvement, especially DIY. You will fight that Algae too with all the rough surfaces, as those places will make it really hard to clear the Algae. A good quartz finish from one of the Top brands is all you need from a practical standpoint and they are quite beautiful finishes. They also last a very long time. Pebbles and Glass Bead finishes are nice, as is Tile, but they come with a hefty price. You asked about pool paints/coatings, but they do not hold up well or for very long at all.

FENERBAHCE said:
I am getting some estimates on the re-plaster work.
There is one contractor that was recommended to me by one of the expensive builders that do not prefer to service my area (some insurance thing I believe) He told me he used this contractor and was happy with his work. The PB guy told me they charge about $20/sqft which sounds crazy high. The contractor stopped by yesterday. We discussed the option. He can fix only the shallow end which would be the cheapest option. He said he can cut through the plaster and use some tiles to make the transition between the shallow end and the deep end. The deep end of the pool show no issues yet. There is only one spot on the wall where there is a small piece of plaster popped. Alternatively, he can redo the whole thing with my choice of basic or diamond brite plaster or pebble-tech like product (I guess they call it pebble-crete.) He measure my pool perimeter to be 103 feet. This guy lives in my neighborhood and want wants to grow his own business versus working for other companies so he told me he would give me a very good deal and use it as a reference in the area. We have two lake neighborhoods side by side and lots of houses with pools.
I also had an appointment from a very reputable PB (Mid-America http://www.poolrenovation.com) in my area this morning. They have some serious references such as Trump Tower Hotel in NY, various Marriott Hotels... They do same kind of stuff as the other contractor. They use hydro-blasting (@40,000 PSI) to remove the existing plaster. They also have a product called Inter-Glass, which is their premium product and is apparently on the expensive side. He measured my pool perimeter to be 106 feet.
I will also get pricing estimate from a third PB by submitting photos and measurements.

I am tempted to do the repairs (if the price is significantly lower) and get by a few years until I can afford to get a complete renovation. I will know more once I have the estimates.
Also if I get plaster repair or re-plaster, I am guessing I need to wait till spring. It is already cool now and we probably will be getting some freezing temps in near future. I am not sure how easy it would be to brush the pool daily and also run the pool for 30 days or so after the plaster work is finished. If I go with Inter-Glass which I doubt since I am guessing it will be pretty costly, I can get it done now because there is no after construction work necessary. Just fill the pool up, balance the water, and winterize.

Fenerbahce,
What did you end up doing, or have you done anything yet? I'm also in the KC area and I need to get my pool replastered. Can you tell me who you got quotes from? What did you think about Mid-America and thier Inter-Glass product?

codyt,

Sorry I have not noticed your question earlier. I ended up having acid wash done which cleared the black algae problem. I have not got any work for the surface done yet but I am considering it again.
I thought Mid-America was very expensive but I heard very good things about them.

If you still are looking for a plaster guy, I can provide you the name and number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.