New Pool Light...

westc

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2011
Abilene, KS
I have an old 12 volt pool light that was most likely original to the pool (1979) that stopped working. The pool company came out today and found that the socket is no good; tab is broke off and porcelain socket is cracked in several spots.

First question... What is the best light to replace it with?

2nd question... How hard is the raplacement to accomplish?? The transformer for the current light is almost 70 feet from the light and around a corner! I figured there would surely be a junction box some where before the cord makes the bend, didn't find one, unless it is under the diving board...

There should be a deck box close to the light above water level where the wires from the light are connected to the wires from the power supply (at least that is how 120V lights are hooked up). It is also fairly common the deck box to be under the diving board.

Mine was not under the diving board, but I found it under an overgrown bush about 10 feet from the light.

Thank you. I'm going to operate (for now) under the assumption that the box is under the diving board. When I bought the house there was nothing planted around the pool, just gravel so I'm certain there is not abox any where else.

You are restricted to lights that will fit your current niche unless you want a fairly significant project to change the niche.

Lights routinely come with 100ft cords, so it is very possible that the transformer is the only connection on the light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.