How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

• Total voters
This is the first year we are closing using BBB method recommendations vs. pool store method. (been with BBB exclusively 2 seasons now but - dah - did not seem to find BBB closing recommendations till this year). Every previous year - 5 - we've followed the pool store advice and opened to a green pool each and every time. Since we still have a few bottles left over from the conversion, we will use the polyquat till it's gone. I am pretty confident we will open to a clear pool. Thanks to BBB and TFP!

yes shocked at closing in mid October. but still ended up getting green in the spring, started turning green under the ice.

think I'll try that way again this year, but top off the shock level before it freezes, have one of those robots to stir up the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
smooth2222 said:
yes shocked at closing in mid October. but still ended up getting green in the spring, started turning green under the ice.

think I'll try that way again this year, but top off the shock level before it freezes, have one of those robots to stir up the water.
Make sure you pass the OCLT (and CC and water clear) before closing it up.

I closed my pool "early" on Sept 19 because of the overhanging trees and mass amounts of leaves falling. Brought to shock and did polyquat 60. That was about a month ago. I pulled up the corner of my new solid loop-loc cover with mesh drains and the pool was up to normal level of water (closed 15" lower than deck height). We just had 4 inches of rain. So while I was pumping out water with a sump pump, I stuck my head down there to check things out. Water is still as clear. Sunlight does get through the solid cover- you can see all the way across the pool (45'). So it's not dark under there, but filtered light. Water temp is 65 right now because of warm weather we've been having. I don't think the poly hurts- I was expecting it be green already.

The reason I closed early is because I got tired of seeing this every morning:

Don't use that brand but I do use a Algacide 60 along with my shock. I have a solid loop loc cover and have never had any problem with my pool. It is always as clear when I open it as it was when I closed it. Only thing I do have is a few earth worms on the bottom. I just don't know how to keep those suckers out.

For a pool with a chlorine generator, just run it on superchlorinate until the level is up to shock before closing? This is after passing the OCLT. I will be using a mesh cover. My pool temp just got down below 60 degrees.

Highly not recommended to use superchlorinate, you are shortening the life of your cell. Why not keep it at normal settings, the chlorince will rise if covered, then you can add $10 bucks worth of Bleach to boost that level, I know I have never used more then 20% setting and my cell is still good, others have used superchlorinate and replaced cells very quickly.

Good point. I have been running mine at 40% for 6 hours per day. I have to admit I haven't checked the levels in a while so I don't know for sure where it is right now but since it is colder and covered it must be higher.

I am closing tomorrow (pool co closes but I ask them not to do the chem) but pool store was out of polyquat60.

This is only my second year closing...I am debating just going without since I am shocking but with my high phosphates due to steady diet of jacks magic I am a little nervous about the idea...(eg lots of food if warmth ramps up early, though I do plan to open in April...)

Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.