How to fill Expansion joints in pool deck (pics)

Apr 22, 2013
So my pool deck has plastic strips (zip strips) placed in the expansion joints that are now worn out and coming apart. It looks ugly and I think it is not fulfilling its function. I want to rip the plastic strips out.

I was wondering what would be my best bet to replace it with. Mastic, DeckO Pool or a Self-leveling Polyurethane caulk (Sikaflex etc).

I am leaning toward the Sikaflex but am not sure how it will withstand the water and the chlorine in the water.

Anybody has experience with this would like to chip in their thoughts. Thank you.

[attachment=1:358odqwf]_MG_8303.JPG[/attachment:358odqwf][attachment=0:358odqwf]_MG_8304.JPG[/attachment:358odqwf]

Just FYI, it looks like those were put in for drainage. No matter what you use you will loose the drainage feature.

Yup, those are draining channels for sure. Can you replace them with the same size channel? Would it look horrible to remove them all together and leave the channel open?
You might get some loose debris in there which might need occasional cleaning out but you wouldn't lose the entire channel's purpose.

Hmmm, do not want to lose the drainage if that is important... not quite sure of what how it functions... drainage from where... the channels do not lead into the pool... or seem particularly graded.

Here is a website from the guy I'm going to use to caulk my new pool and other joints around the pool deck. After talking with several pool builders, they feel this is the highest quality way to fill these gaps. It's a non-sag (i.e. non-self-leveling) caulk and they also use a professional grade urethane sealant on it. It's one of several options for such gaps, though doesn't do anything for drainage obviously, except directing it elsewhere, which is the point of caulking.

http://www.caulking-unlimited.com/

Regarding your joints and potential drainage, it should easy enough to evaluate your deck to see where the water is really going. It doesn't look like much is getting in those openings any longer. They appear full of debris and are too tiny to carry any significant volume of water that a storm would bring. I would doubt they are serving any large drainage purpose as they are just too small. A hose and a little testing should let you know where the water all goes. I would expect that little drainage is occurring with them a quality caulking job of the joints would look great.

Thanks bmoreswim, thats a good site. Seems like gun-grade is the way to go. I am looking at my deck and patio and you are right, there is not much that the drainage channels are doing. Will test more later today but I do not think I will lose much by caulking them up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.