How serious are hairline cracks? - hagan

hagan

Sep 12, 2013
I have a two year old 21K gal blue fiber glass. I have had to re gel coat serveral times due to waxing. ( Manuf. issue). so now we have the bottom correct and its looks great. I have noticed small lighting bolt hair line cracks ..with water on it, you dont notice. It starts on the swallow end almost on the wall and runs down. I would rather not touch it or possible a clear appoxy for safey. Can anyone give me advice if this will get worst. The pool installer says leave it. Phillip Fiber glass two years old

I'm no expert here but some thoughts

1. How long are the cracks? Were are they? Can we get a picture showing them in relation to whole pool?

2. If you are still within the manufacturer's warranty at least make a claim The PB is not the manufacturer.

3. Have you had the pool full for these two years?

The pool has been full and empty several times over two years trying to figure out the gel coat problem with waxing over when water is on it. the crack is a line that runs from the top of the mold gasket at bottom. about 2 ft...you can't see it when its has water on it- like a razer line lighting bolt. The contractors were in the shallow end on their knees scrapping of a wax that was on the bottom. I am sure this is where it happen as their was always some flex their. Kinda got nervous and filled it up so crack would not run with advise from Pool Guy as it was empty about a week or almost. It looks like gel coat only to use. I have had so many issues with re -gel coating that i just decided to stop. My only concern was would it leak...the Pool guy says no....Not sure how to attach a picture.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 79
  • crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 79
As you know the empty - full -- climbing around inside --- is not good for these pools. One can't tell how serious it is from here. But it looks more than just a surface scratch. I would file a warranty claim with the pool builder and manufacturer and have an experienced pool service guy who has lots of repair experience come over and look at it. Somebody who bleeds chlorine and has a constant sunburn.

There are several threads on here on how to repair a leaking crack in a fiberglass poll. You may want to look at those also.

Is it expanding?

no not expanding at all. I filled it and will watch the water level and see if it goes down. The pool builder says it's get coat only and not the structure......but I have had so many issues......i will watch the water level and see if it leaks. the Hatterous Pool left me hanging......i would have recourse if the shell were cracked...i dont beleive it is. thanks for your comments...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.