Young vandals sprayed dry chemical fire extinguisher in pool

Jul 13, 2012
A currently vacant home that I own was vandalized by young children who got inside and took dry chemical fire extinguishers and sprayed them all over the inside of the house and into the pool. Does the pool need to be pumped? I know I need to get more specifics on the type of fire extinguishers used exactly but another DIY forum suggested that it is probably Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)?

Re: Young vandals sprayed dry chemical fire extinguisher in

What classes of fires are the extinguishers rated for? If they are typical BC extinguishers, it is probably baking soda, though I think they add some other things in small quantities to keep it from caking. If it is ABC, it is probably ammonium phosphate.

I doubt it will cause any severe problems. Just run the pump to filter things and keep tabs on your water balance.

I talked with the company and firemen and apparently it is non toxic and not harmful.

The only problem now is that it is all floating in the pool and it seems that the skimmer hole is to far down to be sucking the floating scum in.

I was thinking I might try and get some pvc pipe and stick it in the skimmer hole so that it is an inch below the water level and will hopefully suck the scum in - or will that suck air into the system?

What else is it that I can use to get the scum off. Using a net is going to take an eternity. Would hay work? I also saw "scum balls" in the pool section but at $7 each that might get super expensive - can they be squeezed out?

If the skimmer isn't pulling it in, it sounds like you have too much water in the pool.

Is that an Intex pool? If so the skimmer is below the surface so it's going to have a hard time cleaning it off the surface. You could get a floating skimmer but you may not want to spend that much.

Would a scum ball be better instead of sucking it into the filter? Or can you just use a skimmer net scoop it out of the pool (maybe that is silly, but I am picturing a foam on the surface in my head and that may not be what you see)?

Can the scum balls be rinsed out with clean water and reused?

The Net is not working that well. The stuff is basically like a film on the water but when you take it out with a net it is a very thin powder that seems to separate from the water as you skim it with the net, but it is hard to shake off all the powder from the net.

Thinking now, I am not sure if scum ball will absorb the powder.

What kind of filter do you have? Maybe sucking it into the filter and then cleaning the filter would be the easiest. Although if you are able to suck off the surface of the water, you may end up also pulling air into the pump and lose prime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.