Acorns! BTDT advice?

This is the first fall I have spent in the house I purchased with a pool in the back yard. I have a lovely white oak tree that overhangs the pool and it has been the greatest blessing throughout the summer... now I am paying the piper. Acorns. I have been sick for the last couple of days and haven't gotten out to do my regular maintenance and I must have had 1000 acorns on the bottom of the pool today. I vacced everything up but of course I was met with some pretty ugly stains. Going to up the chlorine and give it a good scrub again tomorrow.

So, other than buying a cover - which I am loathe to do because the entire back of my house looks out onto the pool and aesthetically I much prefer the look of a pool to the look of a cover - what should I be doing to help make acorn season as painless as possible. Also, any guess on how long acorn season lasts?

***I edited because I had called the tree a live oak tree - I should have called it a white oak tree

woodyp said:
Possibility of trimming the part that "overhangs" the pool?

No. It is a mature tree and it would probably kill it to cut that much of it back. Plus, we are a fair skinned group, and that shade makes a huge difference in us being able to use the pool during the daylight hours. Not to mention that the water temps are so much cooler than what we would have in the dead of summer. I searched for a pool with shade when I was house shopping. I knew I would be doing a lot of leaf clean up, I just hadn't considered the trouble with the acorns.

I am just going to have to look at the bright side - it is like a great arm workout, right? No need for a gym in the fall, right?

I am going to look into some kind of netting - will probably have to go with the pool type as opposed to the tree type. We have a plethora of squirrels and I can't imagine trying to get one out of tree netting. I wasn't familiar with pool netting but looking at it now, it looks like a good option. Thanks to both of you who suggested the netting.

Also, on a happy note, the pool had a lot of staining on it this morning, but after raising up the chlorine level and giving it a scrub, they are all 100% gone. Hooray!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.