Planning stage for new pool

Sseaman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2013
Nashville, TN
We are in the planning stage for a new vinyl IGP to start late winter/early spring next year. We will likely be adding a small 1/2 bath as part of the project and trying to decide where to place the pump and equipment. We will likely keep the pool open year round so not sure if that would play a part with this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
We will likely be adding a small 1/2 bath as part of the project and trying to decide where to place the pump and equipment. We will likely keep the pool open year round so not sure if that would play a part with this decision
When I placed my equipment, my primary concerns were aesthetics and noise level. Mechanically, it should ideally be a foot or so above the level of the pool water but it can be a pretty long way from the pool if that's the best place for it.

Can't help with anyone around Nashville....sorry.

I am meeting with a PB this week to see how what we want to do matches up with their thoughts and experiences. We are currently looking at 18x36 rectangular vinyl with 10' roman steps at each end and sports depth. We are also looking at adding a sunledge on the side. I am leaning towards no main drain with 2 skimmers on the down wind side and the 3 returns on the opposite side and jets on the steps at each end. I am also leaning towards 4 Savi LED lights in each corner. My wife is wanting some type of water feature, we have looked at either deck jets or I found some spray jets that go above the water line inside the pool. How does this sound, what size 2 speed pump would be sufficient? Once I get this nailed down I will be giving my drawings to our architect to clean them up for permit and HOA approvals.
ynujyty7.jpg
sebepyma.jpg
zageze5u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am trying to decide between using white or blue steps, if we go with white then the will match the sun ledge, but I think the blue ties in with the liner better. Any thoughts? Also, has anyone with colored steps experienced them fading?

This is a classic case of a PB not giving out sound information on running a pool. I wouldn't put much stock in his chemical suggestions given the pump runtime comment (that and TFP is your place for all these answers). Almost certainly a 2-speed pump running way less than 24/7 will be your best bet. But just to be sure, what is your electricity rate?

Welcome to tfp, Sseaman :wave:

Looks like bmore beat me to it, but here are my thoughts:
Sseaman said:
He also suggested a single speed pump running 24/7 instead of variable or 2 speed pumps, does that sound right?
Only if you want to needlessly spend more money on electricity :)

Definitely go with at least a 2-speed pump. Most the time you will run on low...and if for some reason you wanted to run 24/7 (most pools only need a few of circulation), then low speed for sure.

I don't see any water features in your plan? If not, then you should be able to go with a fairly small 1 hp 2-speed pump such as the pentair superflo.

Electric rate is $.09234 per kWh and we are not looking any water features. The dig sheet show approx 24k gallon for the size and depth we are looking at. I was also concerned that he has not dug a sports pool before but I'm not sure that would be a huge issue. When talking with him some of the stuff he suggests are in line with things I have read on TFP, unlike other PBs that are giving the hard sales pitch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think for 2-speed pumps, the pentair superflo model:340042 or the Hayward Superpump model SP2607X102S (the Hayward is a little lower flow and power, so it might be a better choice, though pentair has a lower flow superflo pump as well model 341111, but that one tends to be harder to find). If you are going to consider a vs, look at the Hayward Superpump vs or Maxflo vs pumps.

I may have to look for a different PB, I showed him my sketch the day we meet and even offered for him to take it along, it has taken 4 tries for him to send over a CAD drawing that is even close to what I told him I wanted.

Sseaman said:
I may have to look for a different PB, I showed him my sketch the day we meet and even offered for him to take it along, it has taken 4 tries for him to send over a CAD drawing that is even close to what I told him I wanted.

Based on comments above and especially this, I agree and would start looking. If he can't/won't pay attention to your wishes on the basic design
you are hosed. IMO anyway...why would he not pay more attention? No reason, unless he just doesn't care, or thinks he has a better idea.
Either way is bad, and I would imagine it will be this way on everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.