AquaPure 1400 Jandy Transformer or Backboard or?

May 25, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I have a 20,000 Salt Water Pool inground with pebbletec surface that was built in may 2006. I replaced the first salt cell about 2yrs ago along with the Flow Sensor and cable.

All was fairly well until this summer, started to get intermittent cell/flow sensor codes on the unit throughout july/aug. Cleaned the cell and sensor as recommended but the intermittent codes continued to show up.

Currently the only code that showing up is 170.
I did the assessment on the backboard, transformer, and front board with my multimeter.
The only readings that were out of line were 4-5 120mVAC was 0 and the Cell Voltage Output to the cell was non existent also.

Transformer voltage reading (1-8) was 79V, (2-7) was 68V, (3-6) 21V, and (4-5) was 0.

I would prefer not to have to replace everything in the unit and wanted to know if anyone had a similar problem and what the solution was for them.

How do you know if the backboard is bad versus the transformer?

Thank You,
Tony

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I know this is post is a couple of weeks old and no one answered it, but wanted to encourage you to continue to post and ask questions. Not every question gets an answer, but we should have at least welcomed you to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome email.. I still havent done anything with the equipment, just keep buying bags of shock to keep the water clear. I plan on buying a new sensor with the black face which many folks have recommended to begin with.. And if that doesnt fix it then will move to either the front board or the backboard..

Thx,

Here is a trouble shooting manual for an older aquapure, http://www.pleasurepoolsno.com/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf. It seems to have the voltages that you should be able to measure to troubleshoot the boards. Your backboard numbers look fine for the most part, 4-5 should only measure 120mv so it is near zero if your meter can not measure that low.

Error code 170 is a front board problem or a 120 volt problem. The link above has the voltages you should be able to measure on the front board. I haven't heard of error code 170 when the trisensor is the cause of the errors.

You might not want to be adding bags of shock as they are either adding CYA or calcium to the water which you do not want more of if the pool was properly balanced before your problems started. Liquid chlorine is always the best option to keep the pool chlorinated when you do not need more CYA or calcium.

To calculate any chemical addition to your pool use Pool Math, the link is in my signature. You will need to add the approximate amount of gallons in your pool and your known chemical balance and then it calculates how much of each chemical to add for your desired changes.

Liquid chorine is either plain unscented bleach that is bought in the laundry section, or if you want to use a higher strength form you can buy it at most pool stores. You want to check the bottle for the strength to make sure you know what you are getting. Pool stores usually sell 12.5% or 10% strength and stores have mostly 8.25% or 6% strengths. Some cheap bleach will not state the strength or be <3%. Clorox, target Up and Up, and walmart name brand are all good to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.