Changing the steps

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

My pool is about to be re-plastered. The current steps are very steep and not kid-friendly. I am thinking to modify them so that they are more gentle or we may even make a gentle downslope as kid play area. My question is that in order to poor extra concrete to build the steps or slope, do we need to chip off all the existing plaster in that area? If the plaster is not chipped off, does concrete bond to the peeling plaster? Do we need to use rebars in this modification? Thanks

Scott

If a mason does not INSIST on pinning the new steps to the floor with rebar, I would not approve the work. You need a joint that cannot move where the new steps meet the pool floor and walls.

I can think of no reason to remove the plaster. Can you leave the existing steps? Seems doubtful to me.

As Dave said the contractor should use rebar to tie the new steps into the old.

If I were doing the work I would chip off plaster and most likely score the underlying gunite as well as use rebar.
This is one where I'd get at least 3 estimates and talk to the contractors to get a clear understanding of what they are doing and how they are doing it. Then I'd be specific as to methods the contract.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.