Multivalve replacement or repair?

dscut

Jul 8, 2013
It's getting much cooler in TX recently and I am considering to close my pool, drain the water, and paint the pool since the old plaster is worn. Yet my water level keeps falling recently - I had an original pump station with a Pentair multivalve that lasted for 20 yrs. I replaced the gasket couple months ago but found out that it does not fit well and one branch always stretches out of the groove after turning on the valve. And there is also a noticeable crack on the bottom of the top assembly - where it fits with the gasket. I guess when I turned to filter, there are water constantly moving from that branch to my drain and therefore causes water level to fall. So I am thinking of replacing the whole valve. From what I understand, it may involve some plumbing etc. Can anyone share some experience with the replacement of the whole assembly valve? My model is SM2-20-2. It's for a 60 Sq ft SE filter & 25,000 Gallon pool.

Thanks!

I would reconsider the painting, it is a band-aide at best and typically only seems to last a couple years. It will also not "fix" worn plaster, it will just change the color ... and if it is staining that is the issue there are ways to remove it. I would suggest saving the money you would spend on paint until you can get a new replaster job.

Regarding the valve, the ease of replacement depends on how your pad is plumbed. The valve attaches to the filter with union fittings, so that is no problem. But all the other pipes are screwed into the valve. So at a minimum you will have to cut the pipes to the valve so you can screw them into the new valve. It may be easiest to add unions to each of the pipes entering the valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.