Liner installation problem/advice

Oct 11, 2013
wantagh/NY
I have an in ground 16'x36' rectangle with the 8' deep end (vinyl liner about 27k gallons) last year it was harpooned during hurricane Sandy. I decided to try the all black liner, the first liner that went in came with white alignment marks that were supposed to wash away but never did and the floor of the pool was nothing but wrinkles. I contacted the installer and liner manufacturer and after sending their people over to take a look they agreed to replace it at the end of the season. I also asked the liner company if they would switch the color to dark blue instead of black and was told no problem. Last week the installation company put in my replacement liner while I was out, came home to find another black(not dark blue)liner with a less but a still wrinkled floor and a few spots on the walls. After another call the guy's came back over to fix it and told me that they had already hand troweled the sand prior to installing the liner and that was pretty much as good as it gets. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much I realize black is harder to due but nobody ever informed me of possible problems except for the safety issues. We expected it to look like every other liner we have had, this one looks like an old lady in a bikini. I would post pic's but I don't have an underwater camera and it's very hard to see without one. Another thing is right now the pool has only a few inches of water in the shallow end and when you look at the 4 corner's the amount of liner material at 3 of the corner's is equal the 4th is much more. I was told that it will fit fine once filled, both companies have been great and I don't want to become a pain for no reason. Does anyone have any advice , had the same problem , have installation knowledge , do I have a legit gripe? Thanks for your time.

It is tight. I think that it has quite a few wrinkles for a brand new liner. Tried to take some pic's but I will have to find a way to block the sun/shadows later today. Best I can do for now.

Attachments

• pool2 001.JPG
    pool2 001.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 201
  • pool2 002.JPG
    pool2 002.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 185
  • pool2 003.JPG
    pool2 003.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 182
Those are trowel marks...pretty sloppy. The wrinkles in the corners WILL NOT come out....that's just an opinion but the floor of the liner and the floor of the pool are not square to one another.

I'd pull the plug if you have financial leverage. That's an inadequate job. My one and only DIY liner install looks 10 times better than that.

Did they suck the liner down with a vacuum before adding water?

Sorry to be negative but the crews skills seem not to match up to the job (or they just went too fast on both the troweling and the install).

Yes the liner was sucked down with 2 vacuums. I think they just did a bad job smoothing out the floor aside from the wrinkles and misalignment in the corner's we also have boot print's on the floor. Do you think it's worth making a big deal about or should we just let it go? Thanks to everyone for their help

Attachments

• pool2 026.JPG
    pool2 026.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 146
  • pool2 027.JPG
    pool2 027.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 147
  • pool2 033.JPG
    pool2 033.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 147

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes its worth making a stink over it. I too DIY's my liner install AND my vermiculite and it looks a million times better than that. Seeing work like this makes me happy I did DIY and was one of the reasons I did. I think lots of labor simply wants to get in and out quick. I am sure there are good places out there, but work like yours give them a bad name.

Make a stink, if you haven't already. My guess is installer vs liner. Sand bottom requires more assistance at the time of liner drop. It must be dropped in or laid in and carefully unfolded. If dragged in it will give you little ridge rolls of sand under the liner and scrap marks from the seams. Also, sucking the liner in with a vac before putting in water will tell a good installer if the liner is fitting properly or needs to be adjusted before a drop of water hits the vinyl.

Funny you replied today. They came over a week after I posted this and was told that's as good as it get's and pretty much to go F myself. Since then I had 2 other installer's come over and take a look thinking I would end up in court. After calling them this morning with the results from the other companies they came over within the hour and agreed to remove the liner in the shallow end and redo the bottom in the spring. And YES I have it in writing. Thanks to everyone for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.