Putting solid tarp cover over mesh safety cover

sws1

Aug 13, 2010
Neptune City, NJ
My inground pool already has the mesh safety cover installed.

I just bought a tarp-style winter cover to put on top to help the pool open cleaner next spring. It came with 16 water tubes.

It occurred to me that normally a tarp cover sits in the water. So if I put it over the safety cover, it won't be in the water.

Questions:
Is the tarp going to be blowing around all winter?
Should I pull it tight so that it doesn't flop around?
What happens when snow gets on cover? Is the tarp going to stretch, or will it pull the tubes towards the center?
If I leave some sag, it'll flop in the wind.

Thoughts? Anyone done this?

If too much snow and water piles on it that is going to make is sag and/or pull the tubes and then add weight to the mesh safety cover that may be more than it is designed to support.

Keep in mind I am in Tucson, AZ ... the land of not much snow ... but I did grow up in Illinois :mrgreen:

I'd love to know if this is a viable solution as well. I didn't enjoy opening up my pool to the mess I found w/ the mesh cover. I think I chose poorly, but now that I paid the big bucks for the mesh cover I don't want to spend more big bucks behind it.

My mesh is supposed to keep 94% of the sun's rays out. But its still a sloppy mess in there.

I'd love to know if this is a viable solution as well. I didn't enjoy opening up my pool to the mess I found w/ the mesh cover. I think I chose poorly, but now that I paid the big bucks for the mesh cover I don't want to spend more big bucks behind it.

My mesh is supposed to keep 94% of the sun's rays out. But its still a sloppy mess in there.
Close later, open earlier. Follow the closing process in Pool School . Should keep it from getting too bad.

perhaps consider converting the solid tarp/pool cover to one of the newer styles on the market, that is, a solid cover with a mesh opening in the middle to provide drainage. just a thought, i have not done it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.