Black Algea or Organic Matter or Metal Stains? Help W/PIC!!!

estcstpool

Oct 10, 2013
Virginia
Hi All,

I have been doing battle with my pool. Its approximately 15k gallons, compupool saltwater generator. Mid summer i started getting these black dots in the pool. At first I thought it was nothing (this is my first pool) but then they started to multiply. I poured in the black algaecide (sun tropics brand) you get at the store and have been scrubbing with the wire pool brush but the spots are not going away. The spots after the algaecide treatment almost started to look like they were bleeding or rusty. Now I am starting to thinking I have organic matter or maybe fertilizer in there? I have a screened pool enclosure and an oak tree in the front of the house, the rest are palms or ficus in the back by the pool. The water is clean the chemistry safe for swimming but I have these horrible dots/spots everywhere.....What can I do, i need your guys expert help. I took a bunch of photos that I will try to attach.

updated 10/18/2013 with test results

I wanted a good baseline so i bought a taylor k-2006 kit. I performed all the tests but couldnt get the Calcium hardness test right, it was always purple, not blue and I felt like i was wasting regent.

In a 15-16k saltwater pool

FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 8
TA: 80 ppm
CYA: < 30 super low could see the dot even with the whole vial filled so its less than 30
CH: inconclusive was always purple tried the test twice following the fading end point directions couldnt get it to work

Re: Black Algea or Organic Matter - How do I get rid of it!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Post up a picture of the spot and a full set of test results. We generally do not recommend using any magic potions (like the black algaecide) as chlorine will do everything on its own.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Are any of the spots on the walls? Can not tell.
Some of them certainly look like metal stains and this would not be the first time someone accidentally got some fertilizer into the pool and causing spots.

Hi There....90% of the stains are on the bottom of the pool. At first start in the crevices where the bottom meets the wall but now in the deep end of the pool its all over the bottom. If this helps the stains are in the Gunite and I noticed the same stain on the plastic main-drain cover.

I don't think black algae has that halo around the spots. I think it is metal stains.

Try crushing up some vitamin C tablets in a sock and set it on a spot and see if it fades/disappears in a few minutes.

Re: Black Algea or Organic Matter or Metal Stains? Help W/PI

Hi JBLIZZLE

I went and bought some 500mg Vitamin c tablets and used it to rub out some of the stains. The "halo" or "bleeding" effect around the dot is complete removed and the center dot/spot itself its greatly minimized! So now the question is how do I treat my entire pool with Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)? You guys are finally giving me some hope.

Can you still see my pics they aren't showing for me?

Re: Black Algea or Organic Matter or Metal Stains? Help W/PI

Yes I see the pictures.

There is a link in the article about metals in Pool School about how to do the AA treatment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you use HASA Super Stain Out as metal sequestrant? AA

Hi All,

I already have a bottle of HASA super stain out concentrate. Can I use that instead of jacks magic (purple) as the metal sequesterant for the AA treatment? I have a SWG.

Thanks!

Re: Can you use HASA Super Stain Out as metal sequestrant? A

Here is some of the MSDS

Chemical Family: Sequestrant
Ingredients: Contains no hazardous ingredients.
PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Vapor Pressure: Not applicable. Flash Point: Not Known.
Weight/Gallon: 11 lbs 4 oz pH: 6.5 – 7 (2.5% Solution)
Specific Gravity: <1.4 @ 25° C (water = 1) Odor: Slight Ammonia
Bulk Density: Not applicable. Boiling Point: 108° C
Melting Point: Not applicable. Freezing Point: No Data
Physical State: Liquid Solution Color: Clear amber liquid
Solubility: Soluble Stability: Stable
FIRE AND

Ascorbic acid treatment - Confirm Order of Operations

HI All,

This forum has been great. I have been reading all about the AA treatment. I want to make sure I have the order operations down. My questions about each step are after the hypen "-"

1) Bring Pool FC near zero
2) Add poyquat 60 when FC is around 2. - How much do I add here half bottle?
3) Adjust PH to 7.2 - Which product raises PH which lowers? I know A&H wash mentioned to bring it up
4) Add 2lb of AA ( I have 15k gallon pool)
5) Add HASA super stain out metal sequestering agent - Do I add it now or can I add it before I add AA?
5) No bypass let pump run for 30 mins (will be replacing filter anyways when I get these stains taken care of)
6) Run pump 24-36 hours
7) Monitor PH keep it at 7.2
8) start to raise raise chlorine - when do I do this after 2 days? Is 20% a good starting point?

Thanks!

Re: Ascorbic acid treatment - Confirm Order of Operations

yes i have read that thread but my questions above i didn't find answers to, would you be so kind to highlight my differences that Im not realizing and take a stab at my questions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.