hydrazzo vs cl industries crystal stones pool finish??

Jul 9, 2013
I'd love to hear from someone how hydrazzo compares to cl industries crystal stones pool finish in terms mainly of price but also in terms of quality and look. Does it make sense that it would be more expensive? I've been pouring over the cl industries website obsessing over which style and color to choose!! I finally decide on hydrazzo French gray only to be told it cost much more than the sunstone pearl and crystal stone natural!! Does that make sense??? I am looking for a color that is not too dark but not too light and bright either...I'm open to suggestions but I need to make my decision ASAP!! Any and all feedback welcome....TIA!!!
:? :? :?

I'm in the middle of all this too. I think I've settled on Wet Edge products. http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/ CLI didn't want to talk to me, so I nixed them. One of the resurfacers told me he's done Hydrazzo, but that he recommended some other products due to the other products being more durable. Let's keep this thread going as I haven't made a decision either. I hope to have a pool builder here this week to discuss options. This is one I haven't talked to yet, so I'll post up his opinions after we meet.

Yes it makes sense. Hydrazzo is a sanded/polished finish and it takes many more man hours and harder labor to finish the product. CLI Crystal Stones Smooth is a nice option though. Pebble type finish, very smooth by pebble standards, and it does not have to be sanded. Many of the "hydrazzo types" are not as durable because the stones are marble which is softer. It has to be softer to be sanded so there is a trade off. I love how smooth it is, but it is too expensive for us. We are going with a premium quartz finish from CLI called "Suntone Select". To us it was the best option in terms of smoothness, durability, and price. A little more than their normal quartz, but it is very nice. If you really are set on the sanded finish, I would also look into Wet Edge Primera Stone. They have a lot of color choices in that type of finish. I like Wet Edge Products, but there is no certified installer in my area. That said, builder after builder has told me there is little difference in the top quality finish makers. This includes one of the most premier builders in Texas.

Cl industries cystalstones smooth in the color grey harbor

Topics merged. Please keep related topics together. Bama

Has anyone out there ever seen or done a pool using Cl industries cystalstones smooth in the color grey harbor?? Pictures welcome!

We are likely going with the color "Granite" in the select line. That said, I still like the "Teal" color as well. I'm sorry, I didn't find "plum" that you mentioned. With all things considered, I imagine those two finishes will last an equally long time. CS smooth may be a little better long term with proper installation and pool chemistry management, but not by a lot IMO. Select is a premium Quartz, and CS Smooth is the lower end of their Pebble line. I like it best though as like many other Pebble finishes theirs tend to be rough. If done right and taken care of, either should last a good 20 years with ease.

What color water are you looking for in the end? This is a critically important question to me in selecting a finish.

Here is a Plaster company in Houston TX. They have pics of Sunstone and a few Hydrazzo finishes. Go to the site, and hover your mouse over Photo Gallery/Pool Finishes/ then your choice of finish. CLI stinks in terms of showing pools finished online. I cannot stress enough to look at Wet Edge if you have the option. If I did, I would drop CLI in a heartbeat and choose one of their products. They have so many more choices than anyone else, and they make excellent products. The company was started by a group that left Pebbletec. See them on youtube as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much Brushpup for your detailed reply!! The reason I keep harping on CLI is bc that's the company my pool builder is pushing. I don't know if wet edge is an option or not. I will ask. I believe we pd $1800 for an upgrade to pebble finish (crystalstones, sunstone pearl etc) from the basic 5 or so regular sunstone colors they offer in pool package. I am leaning toward a grey color for pool finish based on pictures I've seen online. For example I like krystalkrete-French gray, sunstone select-granite (just like you) and sunstone-smoke. I want to consider crystalstones-grey harbor but I can't find a single pic online!! The crystalstones-plum (I have an actual sample) looks very similar to the pebblesheen-Boudreaux that I saw in pics online. I like it but I'm afraid it might be a little too dark? I might end up just going with what you're going with if it's better than krystalkrete and the regular sunstone in terms of quality and durability?....bc I can't find a pic of crystalstones gray harbor and I have to make decision ASAP. Any additional input from you is greatly appreciated like what's the difference bt the products listed above??? Tysm again!!!

Once you get to the good pebble and quartz finishes, they will be very similar in quality and long term durability. You may have to give the edge to pebble, but not by much. Grey Harbor will give a very similar color to smoke. You can find plenty of pics of it as it is very common and popular. I mostly prefer wet edge, because they offer so many more choices and colors. Honestly, you can't go wrong in terms of quality with any that you mentioned above. CLI is a great product based on everthing I have been able to dig up. As for the shade to pick, it's all in what color you want to the water to be. For me the finish can't be darker than a very light to medium grey. Colors in these ranges will give the blue I am looking for. Most people shun it, but greens give stunning blue water color. I just can't talk my wife into one of them. My favorite green is Wet Edge, Irish Cream.

Edit: National Pool Tile has a lot of pics, and you can look at them by water color on their site. They have shades of finish similar to everyone else, so you can make some decent comparisons there. Keep in mind that deeper pools will look much darker with the same or similar colored finish. Many pool pics now are of shallow pools because they are popular. See the link below.

http://www.nptpool.com/gallery/water-color

Tysm brushpup for all of your help with all of this!! Do you or anyone else on these boards know anything about the quality of krystalkrete (in comparison to other cli products)? I think I've decided to go with krystalkrete in the French gray color...any and ALL feedback is requested. TIA!!

That is CLI's high end Quartz finish. It will not outlast Select by much if any at all. It's appeal is mostly asthetic as the stones are more Crystaline and therefore sparkly. Fine finish, very beautiful I'm sure, and if you look at pictures of the Sunstone Smoke, the water color will be very close to that.

Tysm Brushpup!! You've been a huge help!! I swear I learned more from you than from my pb!! Tx again for taking time out to answer my questions!! I really appreciate it!! Good luck with your build!! I'm sure it'll turn out great!!

Sure thing. I've been obsessed with this for some time. I've read anything I could get my eyes on, talked to several local builders, a few plaster companies, and a couple of Texas's most elite PB's. It's pretty surprising what some of the builders don't know. So did you decide for sure on Krystal Krete French Grey?

So Patrick I did in fact decide on krystalkrete French gray. They put it down a couple of days ago. I thought it looked bland but am I expecting too much from a pool finish??!? We haven't filled pool with water yet bc while they were plastering they experienced some water pressure issues that they couldn't get under control (I live in south fl) so they said they were gonna have to do plaster all over...I thought this is my chance so I said if you're going to have to buy materials and do over maybe I want to change to crystal stones smooth gray harbor!! They said ok but it will cost you $2400 to change....I get that they are looking to cover their dewatering etc expenses with my pool finish change. I negotiated them down to $1900 but the question is is it worth it? Why did u opt for quartz over pebble(crystalStone). Is there that much of a difference in the way it looks? Help I need to decide AGAIN ASAP! I'm so indecisive!

Alizastrohli said:
Anyone can weigh in on this please!!

You can't see the color until the pool is filled. I have CL Industeries Sunstone Pebble "Blue Quartz". When they put it down it was almost white. When they acid cleaned it, it began to darken. Now it is a deep blue with water in the pool. Check back in a minute and I'll re-post some pictures from an old post. BTW, this stuff is apparently tough to put down correctly and have uniform color. I'm just OK with my refinish job but not 100% satisfied that the color is not completely uniform. My wife says it is OK, so I guess it is alright. :). When I walk out the door today, 4 months later, the color is what you see in the middle picture.

EDIT: I think mine is Sunstone Pebble - Blue Pearl. They have too many products IMHO :)
also, I think you will be OK with the color once they get the water in it.

100_1193_zpsf79053b1.jpg

100_1194_zpsdb4e3087.jpg

Before water was added:

100_1190_zps12a3cf32.jpg

Alizastrohli said:
So Patrick I did in fact decide on krystalkrete French gray. They put it down a couple of days ago. I thought it looked bland but am I expecting too much from a pool finish??!? We haven't filled pool with water yet bc while they were plastering they experienced some water pressure issues that they couldn't get under control (I live in south fl) so they said they were gonna have to do plaster all over...I thought this is my chance so I said if you're going to have to buy materials and do over maybe I want to change to crystal stones smooth gray harbor!! They said ok but it will cost you $2400 to change....I get that they are looking to cover their dewatering etc expenses with my pool finish change. I negotiated them down to $1900 but the question is is it worth it? Why did u opt for quartz over pebble(crystalStone). Is there that much of a difference in the way it looks? Help I need to decide AGAIN ASAP! I'm so indecisive!

It's very simple. We opted for Quartz because of price alone, as it was the best we could reasonably afford. If I could afford it, I would have put in a high end all glass bead finish. But with those, you're in the top end of the price range for interior finish...at, or approaching a tiled finish price point. I don't really understand the pressure issues, but it doesn't matter. If you want to spend the extra, that sounds about like what I have heard for another upgrade. CS Smooth will have more texture and exposed pebbles which is subjectively nicer looking, but will not do that much more for water color IMO anyway. The Krystal Crete is nearly identical in color, so for me it wouldn't be worth it. I would stick with the Krystal Crete, and buy some nice luxury pool floats or something with the extra cash.

John, the pictures are a fantastic illustration to show what is so important...the end result.
Thanks for posting those to help out. That is a beautiful water color!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.