Pump replacement - New House-First Pool

Max58

Oct 6, 2013
New to the site. Great info here. Thank you.

New hosue with a pool:

Sylvan Monte Carlo (Built 1980), 31k Gallons, Hayward DE filter (4200??), 1.5 Hayward Super Pump, Booster Pump

Most of the equipment looks good but the motor on the pump appears to be on last leg. Pool water was clear when I first looked at the house. The pump works but it is severely rusted (leak in plumbing) and appears to be a replacement AO Smith on Hayward Superpump based on configuration of basket. Considering replacing pump to avoid a disaster in my first season. I do not have a spa, water features and do not plan to install solar. I am interested in the possibility of SWG and Heater options in the future once I get the hang of maintaining my pool. Plan to use a robotic cleaner.

If I replace the pump I am looking at a 2 speed or VS. KwH is .10 cents in our area. Is a VS overkill? Pros and Cons of these two types of pumps if used in my set up? Also, is it worth while to install a flow guage? Seems like a useful tool for monitoring actual turnover rate. I will have some plumbing to do anyway to fix the leak.

I do not want to buy low quality components and limit my system. However, I also do not want to pay for bells and whistles I do not need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There really are few down sides to a 2 speed pump, economically they don't have an initial cost much higher than a single speed, and their power savings are fairly close to what can be expected out of relatively expensive variable speed, to add a little more confusion to the mix a few months ago Hayward introduced a couple of smaller more basic (no remote control, limited built in timer programs), and cheaper variable speed pumps to their lineup, the SuperPumpVS and the Max-floVS (around here we generally feel the Max-FloVS is the better of the two by a slight margin). There may however be some practical matters that may add expense or limit your options on pumps, the single speed 1.5 HP Superpump you now have can be wired for either 120V or 240V operation, most if not all 2 speed pumps require 240V for operation, and the same goes for variable speed models, so if your equipment pad is not currently wired for 240V volt equipment, having a 240V line ran to your pad might get rather expensive. I personally replaced my old 1.5 HP Superpump with my current Jandy Flo-Pro 2 speed 1.5HP and have been very happy with it, the Jandy Flo-Pro is marketed for easy retrofit application, with a variety of base plate spacers included, as well as screw down union style connectors for the pump itself which makes splicing into existing plumbing easier than using internal threaded connectors like the Hayward Superpump has. (Note there is now a new (just introduced) Jandy Flo-ProVS much along the lines of the more economic Hayward VS pumps).

Ike

Thank you for the response.

I work in the electrical industry so an upgrade to 240v if needed is not a major issue.

Is there an advantage of running a VS vs a 2-speeed if I add a SWG or a heater in the future?

I am leaning towards a 1.5Hp Superpump 2-speed with a manual switch. It seems it would be a close match to what I have and I like the simplicity of the integrated switch.

Thanks again for the info. I can tell this site will help me get up and running as well as avoid many mistakes as a first time pool owner.

The VS would give you more fine tuning ability, both SWG's and Heaters require certain minimum flow levels to operate (they tend to have internal flow sensors), depending on the amount of back pressure in your system operating a 2 speed pump on the low speed may have too little flow for them.

Ike

p.s. personally I prefer the idea of a remote switch, but I do have a bad back (fell and broke it 3 years ago) and don't like bending down for stuff I don't have to.

Max58 said:
Thanks for the advice. Sorry, i did not see the "Newbie" forum. Will post my next few in that forum.

Thanks again.

There is no reason to post in whatever you are referring to as the "newbie" forum. Post your questions where applicable ... as you have done. And generally if your questions are at all related, it is generally easier on us if you keep them in the same thread (regardless of the forum).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.