Help with pentair vf pump

Oct 8, 2013
Hello Guys, I'm a newbie with pool stuffs. I just installed a pentair vf pump for my pool, 20000 gallons. I have a couple question about this pump.
1. I noticed that when my pump running there is a little on top of the lid of the pump basket, is this normal? and how to get rid of the bubble?
2. I set 4 cycle for my pump, each cycle is 3 hours so total run time = 12 hours. each cycle run for 3 hours then stop for 3 hours, is it better to run the pump 24 hours or just run 1 cycle for 12 hours then stop for 12 hours?
3. When I run for 12 hours my flow is about 27GPM, with this flow I barely notice the swirling effect in the skimmer basket. should I increase the flow rate?

Thanks in advance

There are a lot of variables to pump operation, and the practical vs economics of it may not always line up. One key factor in many pump operation strategies is the question of do you have flat rate or tiered rate electrical metering. In some / many parts of the country with tiered electrical rates it is cheaper to run your pump at a higher speed during late night hours than it might be to run it longer and lower speeds during the prime daylight hours, which some will argue provides better chlorine circulation. The one thing we tend to see around here though is that most people run their pumps for longer than they need to, and each pool is different, so I suggest keep cutting back your pump operation until you start to see issues with water condition then, turn it back up a little to cover that. (of course you will want to maintain proper chlorine balance while doing this). As to skimming action, yes you can reach a point where flow is too low to allow effective skimming, again at this point you might get better performance by running a shorter time at a higher pump speed.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.