Poolskim setup issues

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Hello everyone, I just installed a Poolskim last week and I am having a couple issues with it and I was hoping to get ideas from others who have it.

In case my sig line doesnt show my pool is:
My pool is a 20 X 40 Rect, in ground, vinyl. 2” pipe, 1-1/2” return fittings. Pump is a Hayward Ecostar VSP. I have 3 returns total, one 5 ft from each opposite corner and one in the steps area. I have two skimmers that are located approx halfway down the pool directly across from each other.

Poolskim is located on one return with the flow directed towards the corner of the pool, approx 2 – 3 feet or so from the end of the bag to the corner. The other returns have reducer eyeballs on them pointing to make a clockwise flow (Poolskim is also clockwise flow orientated).

Problem 1 – when my pump kicks on in the morning it primes at high speed. Well at high speed it causes havoc with the PS (Poolskim). The first time it blew the thing right off the PVC even with the screw tightened well! The PVC had a nice deep gouge from the screw all the way off the end. I pre drilled a hole where the screw would go and sunk the screw through the PVC pipe. On high it still messed things up and it pivots the whole PS up so that the bag is on the surface and a jet of foaming water comes out. I turned down the max speed my pump can go to try and help but I need to keep it up high enough to run my cleaner and pole vacuum (yes I use both, that is another story). Its at 2800 rpm now. That helped but it will still slowly rotate the PS up out of the water. I cant seem to crank down on the nut that attaches it to the pool fitting tight enough to keep it from rotating, I can rotate it with my hand if I try hard enough (and its not that hard). The pump does not run at that speed constantly, that is just for 3 minutes when it primes. Suggestions?

Problem 2 – its not working well. My skimmers have way more leaves in them than the PS. The PS catches some leaves but I keep reading reviews of this cleaning the whole pool surface in an hour and filling the bag while the pool skimmers barely have to work. On top of that I still have leaves settling to the bottom of the pool since my pool skimmer gets full so that reduces flow into that skimmer and the PS isnt catching the leaves my skimmers are missing. Suggestions?

I thought maybe trying two PS in the pool, one on each end but that seemed overkill according to reviews. I have more than enough flow to power both with the pump. I also thought about trying those slotted reducers vs. eyeballs to make the flow more along the wall but that doesn’t help getting leaves out of the middle. I may try reversing flow and going away from the corner but I thought this way would make the most of pulling from the center since it pointing away from the center.

Would love some thoughts on this.

Disclaimer: I have never used a poolskim but I understand their operation I think.

Do you have automation channels available? Could you add a valve to shut off or reduce flow into the particular return you have the poolskim on during the startup period?

No automation on my pool, its all low tech! I have played with it some more and I also talked with PookSkim USA. They were not much help...

Solved the rotating issue by putting some big Channel Locks on the nut and tightening it down. By hand I couldnt get it tight enough with the o-ring still having some give allowing it to pivot. Now its solid.

BUT - it flat out doesnt work in my pool for some reason. I can see it pulling plenty of water down and it makes a little vortex but its not pulling anything from the surface unless its less than a foot away and even then some things float past. I tried different speeds and if I run on high it just sucks the floating hat down more but doesnt seem to pull any more leaves. I can run the PS and toss in some leaves around it and they just float there. I have to nudge them towards the opening and eventually they get sucked in.

I dont get it. Watched vids online of it working including a little time lapse a guy made that cleared his large pool in a couple hours.

Forgot to add, I also switched the PS around so it is flowing away from the corner. No change in overall performance. I then swapped the whole thing to the other return, facing both directions. No change. I let it run 2 hrs in each position while watching surface movement of leaves I added to the pool just to see if it would work.

Not sure what to say, mine works great. I have slotted returns which seem to circulate the water right against the wall, rotation is faster, and much more land at the PS. Mine is near a corner, bag facing away from the corner. I think a lot depends on typical wind direction. AS far as high/low speed, I only run at low speed, but have tried high a few times and REALLY SUCKS (not in a bad way). Did not blow it apart. Make sure you have the bigger hole facing the bag (on the float). Mine is opposite the main skimmer, and probably collects 80% of the stuff (other 20% going to skimmer).

One WARNING I just discovered today, if you are cleaning with a robot (or any cleaner with wheels), make sure you take the bag off the PS. I went out this AM finding the bag wound up in the wheel gears of my Aquabot 4WD. Was nice to see the 4WD shut off automatically, and once the bag (with holes in it now) was removed it functions normally. Off to Home Depot to buy another gallon paint strainer.

I think I will try the slotted returns next. PoolSkim has no ideas either. I honestly dont get it. I can switch sides of the pool and I can reverse direction of flow. Nothing works. My skimmers were full of leaves this morning and the PS had ZERO in it! I am just trying to give my skimmers a break and catch the extra once they fill up and flow goes down.

Wind direction does play a lot into it, my skimmers will have one or the other more full depending on the wind that day. We dont have a "normal" direction. That is one reason I swapped sides with the PS and there was no change. I can let it run for a while so it gets flow going, toss in leaves close by and they float right by. They have to get within 12" or closer to be sucked in and it appears there is almost no circular flow in the pool. Doesnt matter what direction the bag faces.

If I increase my pump speed it just sucks the hat down farther. It definitely pulls more water, I just cant get it to pull more water from farther away than a foot! Maybe the slotted return will help.

On low my PS float is about flush with top water surface with water cascading over top down into opening which water level is about .5" below main pool level. On high it's a vortex sucking and blowing air. Waste doesn't appear to be moving towards it, and there must be circular rotation around perimeter. If leaves are more than 12" away from wall they'll pass by, anything within that tends to float into skimmer.

If you have a shut off to your main skimmer, you might shut that off and see what happens after a few hours. My problem is almost nothing gets sucked into my main skimmer. At first I thought the PS was way to weak and would be useless, then after an hour my surface was cleaner than ever. Could be your main skimmer is doing a good job on its own.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

On low, flow is not real strong, 4-5 psi at filter. Have not backwashed in 2 months. I'm maybe 10% above start psi. There's a couple other threads with pictures and video. No video from me but here's a picture.

Poolskim.jpg

I have been thinking about a photo and video so I can send to PoolSkim. They seem to think that having two skimmers in a pool is not normal. Every pool I have seen my size has two skimmers! Maybe its only made for smaller pools? I dont know and I would be willing to try two if it would work. My photo would look exactly like tcat's except with an empty bag.

I have plenty of flow and I have backwashed. There is a definite vortex being made as I can watch it, it looks like a mini whirlpool. It just doesnt seem to pull from any farther away than several inches so its all based on luck to get floating debris to the opening. I am not sure how people are getting their whole pool cleaned off in a couple hours. They sent me one vid where the owner put two 45* elbows on the extension to make it stick out in the pool more and away from the wall. I may try that next but need another elbow, they only ship one now. The video's pool was fairly large but was lagoon shaped vs. my big rect.

They told me to call them but I just got a vm twice so I will see if they call me back. I really want this to work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With my ball returns I could only get the jets pointing out towards the center of the pool, with the slotted returns they can push water along the walls. If water isn't pushing debris along the walls the PS won't grab it. Mine does not work with the normal ball returns. My main wall skimmer won't stuck anything in unless it's within 2"of the opening, that's why almost nothing goes to it.

tcat - My slotted returns just shipped today. Local Leslies had nothing in stock so I ordered them online. They wont be in for a week but I am hopeful they help out. I can definitely see how they will help with flow. My other return is so far away I just hope it helps enough! I may just block off the stairs return or aim the slot so it fires to the top step to wash out anything that might get caught in there.

OK, here are some photos. You should be able to tell the PS has a little vortex going and this is on low speed. The other photo shows the relationship of where it is in my pool. There is another return the same spot on the opposite side at the other end of the pool. There is another skimmer directly across from the one in the photo.

Wow, I would have thought with 2 built in skimmers you'd have no need for the PS. I found aiming the PS away from the corner works better on my pool (opposite from what you have). You seem to have a lot of flow on low speed, should work well. If the main skimmer in the picture has good flow, it's going to grab stuff before getting to the PS. On mine it was all in getting the jets tweaked to the right angle/direction. It's very sensitive. If I had mine going clockwise (like yours) almost nothing would hit the PS, but CCW, it works great. The jets have to be at the "perfect" angle; if aimed down too much or out into the pool too much, would not work well. I can move one just 5 degrees and stuff will just accumulate in one spot. Keep trying things, although your pool looks very clean as-is!

Where's your other return? You mentioned "3", I see "2"

My two skimmers do well but this our first fall with keeping the pool open and we have a solid row of 100ft oak trees directly behind us. You can see their shadows in the photo! You can also see some leaves in the center of the deep end in the photo (deep is center, two shallow ends). I was trying to get the leaves off the surface before they keep sinking in the middle. I know once Fall really hits our area those trees will start dumping leaves.

I spoke with the PS rep on the phone and she was at a loss as to what to try. She said even large pools have this working well, but one guy had FIVE PoolSkims installed in his giant lagoon pool. I did find out we have a local dealer for PS and I gave them a call. They didnt have any ideas right away but offered to come look at it next week.

That other eyeball you can see is not a return, you can only see the one return the PS is hooked up too. The eyeball in the photo is our water fill line that is plumbed into our irrigation system. I can fill our entire pool in a few hours vs. days from a hose!

Returns are the one you see, one at the exact opposite, diagonal location and there is one in the steps.

I pointed my pool skim to the left so the debris floats to the pool skim then to the skimmer opening. When the pool skim is off the circulation goes to the right. Here is a short video of my pool skim. My 1hp 2 speed pump is set on low in the video.

It might help if you can point the pool skim toward the opposite side of the pool.

I plan on playing with it more this weekend. I am convinced it works from all the videos and testimony from people using it and the local supply house that I spoke with said they only had one ever returned and that was due to something else entirely besides the unit. I have a few weeks before the trees really start dropping so I hope to have it dialed in before then.

Once you find a position that works for you, make some pencil marks so you can line up the pieces again if needed and tighten down the little stainless steel screws until they pierce the pvc. If you don't screw them into the second pipe on each joint it will come apart over time.

Well I shot a 4 min vid this morning of my PS not working even though its got plenty of flow. Would love some feedback on what is going on here! I spoke with the local dealer and he had me adjust that inner blue ring. You can slide that up and down and control how far below the surface the hat will float. No idea you could do that. I have it sitting around 1/4" or so down so the hat is around that to maybe a 1/2" below the surface. It has plenty of flow going through it as shown in the video. Leaves will float towards it and actually go AROUND the opening to continue on the other side! I dont get it at all... Hopefully the video works OK. I had to shrink it as it was way too large at first and the lighting wasnt the best since the sun was still behind our giant live oaks which is the reason I have the PS in the first place!

http://youtu.be/Nr6X5U2Mw0Y

Video quality is beyond terrible right now but it states its been processing for a while and may improve. I actually took it in 720p but it was way too large so had to shrink it twice and I think YouTube compressed it again. Its something bad like 240p now. I tried to upload it to my flikr acct and photobucket but it failed both times :roll:

Didn't know about the blue ring adjust, will have to look at that when I get home. Good video to show how it doesn't work (think they'll give your money back?)... I don't think they'd want this video promoted.

Have you tried having the flow away from the corner? Maybe just doesn't work well with a big pool with returns so far apart. I had to use the slotted returns and get them aimed perfectly to get rotational flow. I can put a leaf on the opposite side of the pool and watch it travel along the perimeter to the poolskim. It may take 10 minutes on a windy day, but almost always ends up in the PS. On the other hand, I watch them pass 2" in front of my wall skimmer and pass by. Other returns have to be aimed upward slightly so surface water is moving, I just think your returns are too few and too far apart to get the right flow going. Aimed downwards can cause flow away from the wall at the surface (kind of what your video shows). Play with your other returns a bit, then see if you can return it....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.