Benifit of an in-floor circulation system ??

Jun 14, 2008
I am confused as to the benifit of an in-floor circulation system, not the full in-floor cleaning system, but a series of 6 returns that distribute the return water through the floor. Is it that much better than the standard 4 returns on the sides of the pool ?

THANKS for any input.

My pool was built long ago with an in floor cleaning system, but at some point (before I owned it), the motor broke.

I looked for parts a while ago, but it is so old I could not find anything that looked compatible with my system.

Bottom line is that I now have 6 returns on the floor, although only three have water flowing through them. If my system was working, then it would rotate the returns.

I really don't see any advantage to have the returns in the floor, versus the side walls. In my pool, with the floor returns sending water out parallel to the floor, it does cause the dirt to accumulate in certain places.

Randy

It is my understanding that it assists with Chemical distribution, assists with keeping the pool clean by providing more even water flow on floor and eliminating dead spots, AND distributes the heated water more efficiently by pushing it through the floor rather than the top.

Is this all sound reasonable ?

Arizonaheat, welcome to TFP! I've spoken on this in the past and you've got the right idea :) I'm a little dubious about keeping the floor cleaner, but you get better heating by adding the heated water at the bottom (heat RISES)

Because we install only liner pools, we have a 'heater zone' which consists of 3 regular returns ~ 14" up from the bottom of the panels to provide a similar effect. (though they make them, floor returns in a liner pool are a BAD idea IMO)

However, you still need regular returns near the surface to create the circulation that allows the skimmer (s) to do it's job and prevent stuff from ever sinking to the floor!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.