Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, A new venture for me. Since the pump housing(diffuser?) was cracked so I called a pool company. They did not return my call. So I purchased a new housing. I cut the line to four way valve and am trying to re-install the pump. As it stands the pump housing is about 1/2 inch away from the strainer and 1/2 inch lower and half inch to the right. Can I force everything together and bolt up the pump or am I asking for trouble by putting too much strain on something (pipe, pump, four way valve, strainer)? Is it time for me to give up and call a professional? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

I am having a bit of trouble understanding what you are describing, maybe due to different terminology. Can you post up a few pictures of the issue?

You are correct. I will take a few pictures and post them. The original size of the picture file will be 5 mob each. Do I need to somehow reduce the pic size or does the forum software reduces the size automatically?

Here is one pic that shows the gap between the pump housing and the basket strainer.[attachment=0:12rt1swn]Offset.JPG[/attachment:12rt1swn]

Attachments

• Offset.JPG
    Offset.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 44
Is there enough "flex" in the system to even line them up? If there is, and you can get it so the whole oring seal is under compression, it might work. I doubt it will hurt the pump unless you have to tighten it so much that you crack the pump housing or basket. I would carefully try it and then put some water in and see if you have leaks.

I am concerned because,
1 I have to pull the pump against the strainer basket
2 I have to move the pump to the left
3 I have to raise the pump
If I do all three, only then the pump is aligned with the strainer basket.

Number 1 above should be fine imo, if it is not too much force on the fasteners (bolts in tension). 3 above might be fine, I would definitely support the pump from below so the weight is on that, and not just on the connection. Number 2 and 3 above have me a little worried, unless it does not take much force to do it.

One thought, if it is the same pump housing (dimensionally) as before, maybe this is why it cracked?

The old pump housing was about 15 years old so I was not surprised that eventually it cracked. I have additional pictures that may show the piping/pump arrangement more clearly.

Attachments

• DSCF1711.JPG
    DSCF1711.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1712.JPG
    DSCF1712.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1710.JPG
    DSCF1710.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 29

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use a hair dryer on the short section of pipe between the multi-port and the 90 until it heats up enough to bring the two pieces together. Because that pipe is far away from the pump, less movement is needed. But don't get the heat too close to the multi-port valve or the glue joints.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just gave up and called a professional. He will be here in the morning. I just hope that the fees are reasonable since I have retired a while back. I am happy that I found this forum. Very helpful and nice community.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.