Anchors or water bags?

Jun 24, 2013
It's that time, and I'm getting ready to close my pool for the first time. The pool came with the house I bought, and it already has the safety cover anchors. I'm not planning on using a safety cover again, but I was wondering if I could use the anchors and some rope/bungee to install the winter cover, and save on the expense/trouble of water bags. This would probably mean the cover doesn't touch the surface of the water, and I might have an occasional snowfall on it too.

Thoughts/Concerns?

Thanks!

I would not recommend it. That cover is not made to act like a safety cover. It will probably just rip (in short order)...if you try and install it that way. It's not meant to hold that much pressure. I would either invest in an economical safety cover or water bags. Water bags don't tend to last more than a year or 2 so expect to replace them occasionally.

Thanks PJ, I can understand not stretching it out across the pool. Now I'm wondering if I can drop it on the surface of the water, perhaps put some water to weigh it down and use rope to attach it to the anchors. Is there any reason to have water bags, or are they just to hold the cover in place?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.