Is my pump worth fixing?

Sep 4, 2012
I have a Hayward Super II 1.5HP pump that we think is about 14 years old. It has started to have a hard time priming and often doesn't prime at all. I took it apart to check the impeller and seals and I think the Impeller might be a bit warped. I can get all the replacement parts for about $50 but the pump has not been maintained well and I don't know much about it's history. It also seems pretty loud but I'm not sure if it was that loud when it was new. Is it worth putting $50 into this pump or should I just put that $50 into a new pump?

Also our pool is about 6 feet deep and we are using a single cartridge filter. Is 1.5HP the right size of pump or should we have a larger or smaller pump?
Thanks.

Hard to say if it is worth fixing without seeing it. What model number is it? If you have no water features (spa jets, waterfalls, deckjets, etc.) then you can probably get by with a smaller pump and getting a 2-speed would make sense as well.

What size is your filter?

That is a 1.5 hp uprated motor (C48L2N134B1), so your pump is not too oversized for the pool (same pump as a 1 hp full rated super2). If the pump housing is in good shape and all it needs is the $50 in parts you mentioned, I would probably fix it. If you do replace the pump, I would go with another 1 hp full rated 2-speed inground pump (and if you ever just replace the motor, then I would go with a 2-speed motor).

What is the model/ size of your filter?

So I've decided to replace the seals and the impeller and see what that does for me. I think I have seen the symptoms of having a small filter. We have to clean it often, especially when we vacuum. Is that the biggest benefit to getting a larger filter or are there other reasons as well?
thanks for all the info.
very helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.