Noobie - need help balancing

Jun 15, 2013
Bethel, CT
So I am new to spas/hot tubs and survived my first summer with the pool (thanks to TFP!!) Pool was great with easy maintenance.

The spa has been empty since we moved into the new house in May, dont know how long it sat empty total. It needed a new circ pump which i just installed. Mechanically it is now working. I filled the tub prior to installing the pump, that was about 3 weeks ago. I added some bleach just to make an attempt to not let Swamp Thing grow while i was waiting on the pump. Spa was filled with well water (not softened) that is filtered by the whole house filter.

I used my TF-100 kit and came up with the following readings:

TA 65
PH >8 (purple color using Taylor K-1000)
CYA 0 (filled the viewing tube to the top and could see the black dot clearly)
CH didnt get a good reading... the solution was pink/lavender in color, turned clear w blue "speckles" at 50 drops of R-0012. It never turned blue even at 100 drops.

Other strange thing, I checked the Chlorine with the Taylor K-1000 and it was orange in color. Guessing I put in too much bleach, I did add more 2 nights ago.

Where should i go from here? Thanks in advance!!

Orange on the OTO chlorine test indicates your Total Chlorine (TC) is between 10 and 30 ppm. Do you have fas-dpd tester ( not to be confused with the dpd chlorine test)? If you do, post your Free Chlorine (FC), it is likely high and the ph test is not valid with a FC over 10 ppm.

ploizzo said:
CH didnt get a good reading... the solution was pink/lavender in color, turned clear w blue "speckles" at 50 drops of R-0012. It never turned blue even at 100 drops.
It sounds like you may have a "fading endpoint". Redo the test and follow the extended test kit instructions for a "fading endpoint" here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206396

Thanks for the response!

I did the fas-dpd test and the results are:

FC 13.5
CC 1
TC 14.5

Calcium test using instructions for fading endpoint: 130

Separate question: I referenced installing a new circ pump prior to all of this... should it be running all the time? This is a 2005 Sundance Lagunas Spa.

Thanks!!

So your calcium is good.

Are you going to use the "Dichlor then bleach" approach? I would...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html#p80503

ploizzo said:
Separate question: I referenced installing a new circ pump prior to all of this... should it be running all the time? This is a 2005 Sundance Lagunas Spa.
I am not entirely sure how you spa works, but if you are maintaining it a raised temp then the pump needs to be on (on low speed if it has it).

You should never add unstabilized chlorine to a spa with no CYA in the water unless you are doing a decontamination procedure. If you leave the chlorine at high levels it will be far too strong and will oxidize spa components, including the spa cover, more quickly (for 20 ppm FC with no CYA at pH 8.2 vs. 2 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA it's 20-120 times faster depending on temperature).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.