Liner wrinkles and sprinkler system

PJ

In The Industry
Oct 11, 2012
Hi All!
I just wanted to share an educational experience with you guys. We have been in business for 2 years now and have learned a lot, some from here, some from working with pools day in and day out. ....And this is one of those things I would have never thought would occur, but here it is for others to comment on or learn from.

I have a customer, who I check her water weekly for and adjust as needed. About 3 weeks ago, I show up and open the automatic cover to do m thing, and low and behold there are 3 pretty good size wrinkles in the pool. At first I panic because I had sent an employee of mine the previous 2 weeks to check the water, so I thought maybe it had gone acidic. But I have seen acidic wrinkles and pools with very acidic water for long periods of time that had no wrinkles, so I was confused. The water check follows -
FC-6
CC-0
PH-7.0
ALK-50
CAL-250
CYA-40
(uses a tablet feeder)

So I corrected all the levels....and started theorizing. The wrinkles were all about 4" from the bottom of wall down the slopes on the deep end of the pool (in ground pool). 2 are in the corners-1 in each, and the other along one wall....that wrinkle being about 6' long.... all of them are 1/8" to 1/2" tall.

I called the customer and explained to her that we would try and remove the wrinkles when we prepared to close the pool (which we attempted to do yesterday). So we start draining the pool....and as soon as the water level gets almost to the bottom of the wall...a 1' in diameter bubble appears on the slope (bubble of water). We have seen ground water issues before and the usually appear in the floor....not the upper part of the slope. So we aborted the mission... I called the lady and asked if she had been loosing water...and she said maybe, she had put water in it twice this summer (so probably not). We have had maybe half an inch of rain in the last month....SO..

Every day her irrigation system comes on to water the grass around her pool, I think for 30 minutes. This is the only thing I can come up with. I explained it to the lady, and we discussed options (not running the sprinklers every day, vs. wrinkles)...(I don't think a sump line will work in this case). She has decided to go with green grass and live with wrinkles.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Sounds to me that, with that level of ground saturation, she may be over-watering the ground. Also, most irrigation system heads can be directed away from an undesired area rather than towards it. You can try putting a plastic drain tile system around the pool to intercept the water and direct it to a sump pump pit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.