Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Skimmer Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Skimmer Problem

Hi,
    I have an 18x42 easy set with the surface skimmer. When I set up the skimmer, everything appears fine. When I turn on the pump it pulls the water out of the cylinder faster than it flows in the top. This caused the cylinder to float up, after a half minute it's empty, sucks air and it's all over.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Skimmer Problem

Welcome to TFP!

I have two answers, hopefully one will help. Perhaps you need to raise the water level? Low water level can cause that effect. Second, try putting a tennis ball in the skimmer. It should float above the skimmer drain hole and help prevent air from going in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You might also want to check the weir.
    I was having a similiar problem yesterday, and I went and made sure the weir was floating freely, then my problem went away.

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

4. Back To Top    #4

First, make sure the adjustable clamp is nice and tight on the inflatable ring. Second, there is a nut to adjust the height of the cylinder up and down on the support. You can run it several inches below the water without a problem, because the blue sleeve in the center will float up to whatever the water level is.

The key really is to have the thing tight on the inflatable ring. You might need to pump some more air in it so its firmer before you tighten the skimmer clamp down.

Tom

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the replies. I needed to make the ring clamp tighter and that did the trick! I appreciate the tip!