Is this algae?

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
So, every day I come home to this. I run the dolphin and it's gone, but tomorrow after work it will be back. I've SLAMmed. Yesterday FC was 11.5 at around 2PM. Today its 9 at noon, so I think had I done the test yesterday after dark and this AM before sunrise it would have been in the 1ppm OCLT area. What should I do? I'm using the BBC method.

Attachments

• IMG_20131004_122851.jpg
    IMG_20131004_122851.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 58
When you followed the SLAM procedure, did you keep your FC level up at shock level for your CYA, according to the FC/CYA chart until you passed all 3 criteria?
A full set of test results would be great!
Also, how do you chlorinate your pool, IE. your CL source?

Is this only on the floor of the pool, not the walls, all over, or just shady areas?
I have this same problem in my pool, due to it's inadequate filter that doesn't trap all of the eensy weensy dust particles of dirt.

My solution is to run "Mr. Roper", the Pool Rover Jr. to let it pick up any loose debris, but it leaves this behind because of it's sticky nature, think velcro hooks on a microscopic scale. It's so grippy that rapidly swooshing a skimming net over it does very little to disturb it.
Once Mr. Roper gets done & I pull him out, I then brush it vigorously to kick up all that fine earthen dirt. I then clean the 5 micron bag in the rover and place it over the return.
Now, as it passes through the filter+pump, what it doesn't catch, the bag catches. I just leave the bag on there until it's time to vacuum the large debris again, or I see the pool bottom is clean after about 12-24hrs. Works a treat!!

Though if I take the bag off, it'll build up as soon as the wind picks up, or junk falls to the bottom.
It's only a problem in the fall it seems.

Mine looks completely brown, but yours looks brownish green. Which I'm thinking would be influenced by your liner color.

Please post the info on your filtration system, as I don't see it in your sig. Sand, cart, DE and it's size, plus the pump HP & type you have on it as well as your runtime. If you don't know what's what, post what you can find and we can help you determine the rest.
If it's a sand filter and it has been more than one season since you set it up, you need to deep clean it. See my sig.

Once you have done that, if you still aren't achieving results, add some DE/cellulose powder to it. See Pool School for a how to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.