Liner storage and desiccant packs

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
My liner is all powdered up, shoved in a big trash can, and I bought 3 c-clamps to keep the lid down nice and tight.

1. I read that some of you use/used desiccant packs in the trash can with the liner. Either I'm asking for the wrong thing in the wrong place, or both Wal-Mart and Lowe's didn't have what I wanted. Wal-Mart offered me some packs that go in gun safes, but they release some sort of chemical that coats the gun metal. Lowe's offered me some sort of water absorbing material that dissolved and became a liquid when it absorbs all it can hold. What are you guys using and where did you get it?

2. Once desiccant packs are found and tossed in the trash can with the liner, should I tape the seam as well as clamp it? I'm storing it in my neighbor's unused garage (with their permission, of course!)

So close to being done... so close...

I'd just tape it and skip the dessicant packs, but------Academy sells a 10 pack for gunsafes(which I use) pretty reasonably. Goes in dry, kept dry (can), stored in dry garage should be no issue.

We just store our liner on a shelf in the basement, but I bought a thing from WalMart that sounds like what you described from Lowes to put in the large bin that all of the hoses, toys, etc are stored in. It was a plastic container and I think it actually fills with water as it absorbs it. We packed up a few weeks ago and I haven't checked to see if there's any water in but I should do that. At WalMart it was in the aisle with the laundry stuff (hangers, ironing boards, etc - not detergents). I think it's meant to put in closets that have moisture issues. I'll have to check the bin this weekend and report back if it absorbed anything.

I don't think that a desiccant is necessary but if you want one. Silica gel is the most common form of desiccant. You can buy a jar of silica gel at Walmart. It is in the flower section. The silica gel is used for drying flowers. You could fill a sock with the silica gel crystals. They are also reusable, just dry them out in an oven.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.