Pool Light will not turn on

Oct 20, 2009
The pool light of my inground gunite pool will not turn on. the light switch is hot but I do not have any juice at the deck junction box.(feeder cable highlighted in red box)

The light fixture itself is brand new and I tested it to make sure that part works. The deck is about 4 ft wide and
I am guessing at least six inches thick.

How is this cable replaced? Do I have to cut through the deck to replace the cable?

Thank you

Attachments

• lightFixture.jpg
    lightFixture.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 92
grasshopah said:
The pool light of my inground gunite pool will not turn on. the light switch is hot but I do have

I assume you mean you DO NOT have power at the junction box???? If so, a continuity test of the wires using a volt/ohm meter is in order to confirm. Clean out that junction box real well, there may be conduit (should be) feeding that box from the source that the wires could be pulled back thru. If it does not have conduit, tunneling 4' under the deck is not unheard of and is probably a sat afternoon job.

I'm assuming that in your photo, the wires to the right are from the new luminaire, and the wires to the left are from the switch, correct? If so, you can test the wires coming in from the switch to see if they are broken. Just disconnect the wires at the switch and use an ohmmeter and another length of wire to test each one, or just connect the two together and test for continuity. I would advise replacing both wires if one is broken as whatever damaged it may be affecting the other as well. Besides, you will need the intact wire to pull the new ones in anyway.

Something to consider is could anything have crushed the conduit? What path does it take and is it possible that something could have been pushed into the conduit, cutting the wire? Try tugging on the wires to see if they move at the other end. If not, the conduit may be crushed somewhere. Wiring doesn't typically stop working somewhere in the middle of the run without some help in the form of a rock, fence post, shovel, etc.

Based on the replies I went back and cleaned all connections and replaced the switch and prayed... switched the power back on and the light works now! :party:
Whew! I really did not want to start cutting the deck !!

Thank you Seanhan, danpik and diyindux

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.