No CYA??

Greta

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2013
I'm sure this isn't a "new topic", but I can't locate an existing thread. Just got back from out of town and the pool water is turbid. pH is good, but CYA is not registering at all; no cloudiness in the test vial. I need to SLAM the pool ASAP, so can someone tell me the best CYA product for the job? Is it something carried by the local pool store?... a place I haven't had to visit in several months, thanks to this forum! Is it a waste of good bleach to add a few cups in the meantime?

Greta said:
I need to SLAM the pool ASAP, so can someone tell me the best CYA product for the job? Is it something carried by the local pool store?
I would just buy solid granular cya (sometimes called stabilizer/conditioner). Just make sure it's ingredients call out as something greater than 90% cyanuric acid. It can be bought at walmart, pool stores, etc. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the pool return (water coming back to the pool). I would shoot for 20-30 ppm cya for the SLAM process.

Greta said:
Is it a waste of good bleach to add a few cups in the meantime?
Until your cya gets in the water, your SLAM level is 10 ppm FC (for 0 cya). It may be hard to maintain that level during the day with no cya due to the FC having no protection from the sun.

A couple of questions:

How high was cya before you left?
How were you trying to maintain and appropriate FC level while you were gone?
How long were you gone?

That's a good point, Nathan. I have replaced water, so I must assume that my last CYA test was prior to the addition. I have also made the error of adding too much water only having to drain some off (a serious error here in drought-ridden TX). My testing chemical for CYA is fairly new, so I'm confident the reading was accurate. But the water has remained clear all summer with nothing but the daily 3-4 cups of bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.