Closing down a green pool

Aug 3, 2013
Maryland, USA
Howdy folks,

My family and I just moved into a house that had a pool. Thus, we are brand new pool owners.

The previous owners were elderly and their son was taking care of it up to last year. The pool was green when we moved in back in August. The filter cartridge hadn't been changed since last year, but I started backwashing it to get it clean enough to run again. Using some tips from this awesome site, I managed to get it clear again and got some swimming in. Unfortunately right before closing it down, the pool became green again. (Due to external factors, I did neglect it a bit. I'm guessing from the falling leaves and rain, it pushed the algae growth up a notch.)

The pool liner was torn in the corners and was "repaired" by the last owner using duct tape. The pool is about 10 years old and is still under warranty. We were planning on getting new liner and pool heater (previous owners bought it last year and kindly left it for us) installed first thing next spring. Looking ahead, I was thinking of saving the money and time and closing it down green, seeing as it's going to be replaced anyway.

This comes to my big question:
Can I close the pool down while it's still green? Will it damage the filter unit at all?(nevermind the cartridge, because that needs to be replaced.)

Thanks. I hate to see it the way it is, but any money I can save for getting the new bits installed next year would be great.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Where are you located? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How do you define "close the pool"? i.e. do you have to semi-drain/winterize or will the pool be left full and uncovered so you have to look at it all winter?

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!
Thank you. =)

I thought I did it already but left it unsubmitted in another tab. They should appear below. To clarify one thing, the pool is above ground until you hit the deep end, which is 2 1/2 feet inground. Not sure how to clarify that.

I live in Maryland, USA. We've had a bit of an "Indian Summer". It's October and 90 degrees, although it was in the low 60s this time last week.

According to the directions left by the last owner, I should winterize the pool using chemicals, leave it full, then cover it.

Well, there is no point in adding chemicals if there is already algae and you will be starting from scratch in the spring anyway. So (and keep in mind I live in Tucson so have never "closed" a pool ;) ), doesn't it freeze there? ... I would think you would close normally, but forget about the chems, although I would have thought you should be partially draining blowing out the pipes and draining the equipment to protect from freezing.

Have you read the closing articles in the Pool School?
pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool
pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool

It does freeze here, so I would have to empty the pipes, etc. Thank you for passing along those links. If the weather cooperates (rain!), I could do it this weekend.

Again, thanks a bunch. Looks like I'll forgo the chemicals, do the rest, and get it all repaired in time for next summer. =)

Will do! I've been lurking around here, figuring out ways to take care of it. It was pretty clear last month and my wife and son were in there most of August and early September. Again, thankfully it's been warm this year.

Thanks for the help. =)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.