Time to do something different with my pump

Jun 12, 2009
Central Illinois
For the second time this season, my Hayward 1.5 HP SuperPump is tripping the GFCI breaker. It's in the motor shop now (as it was back in May - to the tune of $180) to be fixed up if possible.

It's been a rough year -- I had to buy a new cell for the AquaRite this year too... :shock: This pump was NEW in the spring of 2012. Seals were leaking after I installed it when I opened the pool (I bring it into the garage for the winter). Installed a new seal kit and took care of the leak. Then it started tripping the breaker. Got it fixed. And here I am. Again.

My setup is a fiberglass in-ground, 12K gallons, 200 lb sand filter, gas heater, AquaRite SWG. I have one skimmer and one main drain which T into a jandy valve about 12" from where the pump sits. Three returns are plumbed in series. All plumbing is 1.5" PVC. Clean filter pressure is around 19 psi. I have a simple timer to run the system 16 hours a day, and all electrical is 220v.

I acknowledge that 1.5 hp single speed is probably too much pump for my setup. The pool was built with a 1 hp SuperPump, but when that failed suddenly a couple years ago, I hurriedly replaced it with what I could find locally. I've had it with these SuperPumps.

I'm considering going with a 2 speed, or even a variable, but I know my bride will balk at the cost. I explain to her that one who owns a pool cannot quibble when things get expensive... because pools can do that in a hurry.

So... I have no idea what to look for in a 2 speed or variable speed pump. I know Pentair is highly regarded on these forums, but what other viable options are there? Most importantly, what should I absolutely NOT buy?

Thanks for your input.

Hi, Greg,

There is a general feeling here on the4 forum that the brand of pump doesn't seem to matter much. That said, you certainly have had some bad luck.

I will add these thoughts....

a 1HP IG pump is all your pool needs and a decent match for your filter.

Generally, you can run your pump and still get adequate filtration much less than your current 16 hours. I run about 4 in the winter and 10 in the Summer. Cutting back that pump run time will be your best energy savings you can do.

Thanks for the input, Dave. I know at a rational level that the brand shouldn't matter. The motors that drive all these pumps only come from a couple different manufacturers, right? So it frustrates me that some people can run pumps for years & years without problems, while I'm on my second pump in 8 years (with three or four additional tune-up/repair visits to the electric motor guy in the meantime).

{Cleansing Breath}

Ok. I'll keep it simple. That's always good advice. Thanks, Dave.

I agree with Dave. If I were to give a pump recommendation ... It would be the 1 HP 2-speed Pentair Superpump. It is 220V and comes with the speed selection switch attached. You would generally run on low speed an kick it up to high when backwashing/vacuuming.

There is also smaller VS pumps that would work well for you also ... the Hayward Max-flo VS. Depending on your electrical cost, it might be worth the extra expense ... and certainly would be if you were able to get a rebate. It is not a full-blown VS pump and does not have as many features as the larger VS pumps (like a built-in timer I don't think), but does allow for some customization of the speeds allowing you to run a lower power level than a 2-speed.

A bit off topic here but I have often wondered why there seems such a variance in pool pump longevity.

Exposure to the elements is always a factor but not much with pumps, I suspect.

End user neglect? Well, sure if you pump sand through them or something crazy but it seems to me all the end user does is turn them on and let them pump so that doesn't seem to make much sense, either.

I have apparently been lucky with my 9 y/o pump that looks and sounds and performs pretty much like the day I bought. Same 0-ring on the lid same everything and never a leak. Go figure.

I would add that mine has been sheltered from day one so that may be a bit more important than we realize.

I remember the first time I took my original pump to the motor guy for repair. He asked me if I brought it indoors during the winter. I replied no, my pool installer had told me it wasn't necessary (which was true). He said (and I remember this clearly), "You should bring it in. You expose that motor to all kinds of caustic stuff and harsh conditions". So after that I wired it with a locking plug on a 10 ga. cord. My pumps haven't spent a winter outdoors since.

Fat lot of good it's been doing me... :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.