Hello from Texas!

Welcome to TFP!

I'd get your pH down. You really want it between 7.2 and 7.8. It's critical that you keep your pH in check during this first year that your pool is up.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

I'd get your pH down. You really want it between 7.2 and 7.8. It's critical that you keep your pH in check during this first year that your pool is up.

Just added 28 oz muriatic acid as the poolcalculator.com suggested. Will test pH again tomorrow. Added same amount last week and it dropped to 7.5 for a few days. Is adding muriatic acid "normal" practice in a SWG pool?

Yes. Over the first year as your plaster cures, your pH will be rising a good deal. Couple this with the fact that you operate a SWCG (also raises pH constantly), daily additions of MA will likely be needed. You might consider bringing your TA down a bit. This will help.

My pool is almost 3 years old and I have a SWG also. I'm still adding about a quart of MA each week to keep my pH in check. Borates and lower TA will help. The good news is that's about the only thing I need to add to my pool, except for the occasional topping up of CYA and borates.