New inground - Equipment Review

Aug 30, 2013
Maryland
Hi everyone,

Planning to get started on the dig for my 750 sq ft freeform + spillover spa.

Would like to hear feedback on the equipment I'm planning -

1x 3HP Intelliflo (Alternative is 2HP Jandy EPump) - Circulation and Spa pump - Not looking for super powerful jets
1x Jandy Waterfeature Pump - Feeding 2 natural or 2x 3' sheer descents (Haven't decided), about 100' of plumbing - Is there a better option?
Jandy AquaPure salt system
Jandy Lxi 400k BTU Nat Gas heater
Jandy 60 sq ft DE Filter
3x Intellibrite lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
Polaris 9400 - so I don't need a suction line for that

6 total drains (2 spa, 2 pool circ, 2 waterfall loop), 2 skimmers, any recommendations for # of returns?

Now as far as a controller scheme, I'm clueless of AquaLink vs Intellitouch. I don't understand what parts I need at all. I have an empty subpanel setup in house geared for this project, so I don't know if I need the loadcenter or what.

Things I want to control -

Pump speed
Suction valve between spa and pool
Return valve between spa and pool
Valve to waterfalls
Heater
Landscape lighting

Looking forward to feedback or opinions. I'm new to this so I want to get a good system.

andyoi630 said:
Jandy 60 sq ft DE Filter
We would recommend a minimum 84 sq. ft. DE filter (assuming ~30000 gallon pool...I assumed 5.5 ft average depth to get that).

If you are going Jandy on the rest of the equipment, I would consider going with Jandy for the pump as well. Sometimes you get a greater warranty if a certain number of your equipment is the same brand. Also may work better for automation.

Thanks for your reply.

Who makes a good DE filter that size? Jandy seems to cap at 60sqft.

I'm torn on going all Jandy or not.

Intelliflo could in theory give me a little more power if needed, is slightly cheaper as well.
I definitely hear that Intellibrites spread the color out better

andyoi630 said:
ho makes a good DE filter that size? Jandy seems to cap at 60sqft.
dooh :hammer: ... sorry about that. Pentair makes residential DE filters up to 100 sq. ft. With that said, if you plan to stick with Jandy equipment, the 60 sq. ft. will work, you will just have to backwash it more often.

Pentair requires 3 pieces of equipment bought on the same receipt and install by a certified professional and registration card filled out within 60 days. If you don't meet any of those requirements it's a 60 day warranty period.

Keven said:
Pentair requires 3 pieces of equipment bought on the same receipt and install by a certified professional and registration card filled out within 60 days. If you don't meet any of those requirements it's a 60 day warranty period.
Thanks Kevin! Do you know if Jandy has a similar warranty extension program?

If you buy equipment from a Pro Edge dealer and they install it comes with a 3 year warranty. If the dealer isn't a Pro Edge dealer you get a 1 year warranty.

Another thing on Pentairs 60 day warranty is they do not cover labor just parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.